[SOLVED] Will I notice any difference if I go from DVI to DisplayPort ?

jaged

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
I have a new 27” 144 hz monitor.
I bought a DisplayPort cable for it but have misplaced it during the Christmas morning chaos.
I have a DVI cable though so is it worth buying another DisplayPort cable or should I just go ahead and use the dvi?
The gpu is a RTX2060

thanks

Solution
If you need a new cable and your monitor supports DisplayPort. Why would you bother with a bulky DVI cable and deal with screws? When DP is smaller and just uses a lock button.
The question wasn't about buying a new DVI cable, it's asking if there's a disadvantage to using one he already has.
I have a DVI cable though so is it worth buying another DisplayPort cable or should I just go ahead and use the dvi?
For 1080p 144 Hz you can use DVI, there won't be any difference unless you need advanced features like HDR, which the DVI interface doesn't support. For 144 Hz at higher resolutions, you need to use DisplayPort or HDMI.
If you need a new cable and your monitor supports DisplayPort. Why would you bother with a bulky DVI cable and deal with screws? When DP is smaller and just uses a lock button.

At any rate. For DVI you must get Dual Link DVI for 144hz. Regular DVI won't do it. Otherwise there should be no difference. Unless the monitor supports more colors over DP.

The question wasn't about buying a new DVI cable, it's asking if there's a disadvantage to using one he already has.
For 1080p 144 Hz you can use DVI, there won't be any difference unless you need advanced features like HDR, which the DVI interface doesn't support. For 144 Hz at higher resolutions, you need to use DisplayPort or HDMI.

Solution

jaged

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011

Ok thanks.