[SOLVED] Will I notice difference in overclocking between X570 Motherboards?

Acapella

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2013
I'm looking to pick a X570 Motherboard for a Zen 3 build, and am wondering if there will be a notable difference in overclocking / core temps between specific motherboard models. The two in question are MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON WIFI Gaming and GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ELITE. I don't really care for the wifi or LEDs on the MSI model, and both have M.2 heatsinks that I'm looking for, so the only reason I'd go for the MSI model is if there are other characteristics that would affect overclocking. Are there things like power delivery, VRM heatsinks, or anything that might affect that? Thanks!

Solution
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...FnsZYZiW1pfiDZnKCjaXyzd1o/edit#gid=2112472504

The MSI X570 boards, not counting their top end models like the Godlike, are in no-wise the same company as their very good B450 models. The Elite is a better choice, but honestly, you might want to consider a B550 model instead. Much better in my opinion, unless you want to include the 300 dollar and up X570 models, and no stupid chipset fans required on the B550 boards. They have basically everything that X570 has, and in some cases a few things that most of those boards don't have including overall, better boards at a lower price.

In truth, for now anyhow (Even with recent PCIe 4.0 NVME drives and graphics cards), you can...
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...FnsZYZiW1pfiDZnKCjaXyzd1o/edit#gid=2112472504

The MSI X570 boards, not counting their top end models like the Godlike, are in no-wise the same company as their very good B450 models. The Elite is a better choice, but honestly, you might want to consider a B550 model instead. Much better in my opinion, unless you want to include the 300 dollar and up X570 models, and no stupid chipset fans required on the B550 boards. They have basically everything that X570 has, and in some cases a few things that most of those boards don't have including overall, better boards at a lower price.

In truth, for now anyhow (Even with recent PCIe 4.0 NVME drives and graphics cards), you can get a much better B450 board for a lot less that will handle anything up to and including the latest Zen 3 CPUs BUT, and it's a big but (No, not THAT kind of big butt), B450 won't support Zen3 until sometime in January as that is when they intend to release the BIOS updates that make it compatible. Stupid, and obviously a tactic to get people to buy new boards rather than just buy a CPU and slap it into an existing board. Unethical behavior from AMD and manufacturers IMO, but it is what it is. I guess they really didn't HAVE to support it at all, so there is that.

If you MUST have an X570 board and want to spend around 200 bucks on it, then the ASUS TUF X570 Pro wifi might be the best option. Spending a bit more on the X570-F would be even better, but there are other options as well as I said.

A further consideration is the fact that early indications are there is probably not going to be much, if any headroom for overclocking on Zen3. There was already VERY little on Zen2 and Zen3 comes pushing the maximum clocks as it is really. I'd just look to a board with a good power delivery and VRM heatsinks, plus whatever other features you require, and as much as I AM an overclocker, for many years, this might be the generation where overclocking just isn't sensible or maybe even possible.

Solution

The MSI X570 boards, not counting their top end models like the Godlike, are in no-wise the same company as their very good B450 models. ...

Add these to the Godlike: x570 Unify and the X570 Tomahawk also come well recommended. I seem to remember Buildzoid (a youtube overclocker) saying a Tomahawk might become his go-to overclocking board.

But do not forget B550; there are plenty of B550's with what can only be considered over-kill VRM designs. Until we know what 5950's power demands will be at least.

And one observation: traditional overclocking is pretty much pointless with Ryzen 3000 and very likely to result in loss of performance and even early processor degradation, meaning further loss of performance or stability, if not done very carefully. Even done right it makes significant power demands that requires very stable delivery and comes with a lot of heat output that needs much better cooling making a mobo with a highly capable VRM design essential to get even marginal performance improvements. That's probably not going to stop you, but it needs to be said.

Oh yes: and nobody knows anything about what Zen3 will be like. But if it follows the progression from Zen1 to 1.5 to Zen2 I expect the boosting algorithm to be even better refined at getting all the silicon can put out, taking away even the slim margins that careful tuning gets us today.

Last edited:

Acapella

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2013
Thanks for the recommendations! I went with the AORUS Elite as it's on sale at Amazon. I've already purchased a PCIE 4.0 SSD, so the B550 boards won't support that. I also picked up an Arctic Freezer II for cooling.

That's probably not going to stop you, but it needs to be said.

Haha, I do actually take you guy's input pretty seriously. It'll be interesting to see what these chips are like! I definitely won't overclock just for the heck of it; if the native boosting algorithm is solid then that's sufficient for my needs. Thanks for the help!

I must have missed the reviews of that board, but have looked at them now (Both hardware unboxed and Buildzoid's un-review, which I say because he merely tore down the composition of the VRMs, unless there is an actual review of that board from him somewhere that I haven't been able to find.) and I do see that the X570 Tomahawk shows to be a very good board. Funny, because early reviews said all of the mid grade MSI X570 boards were pretty bad, like the Gaming Pro carbon. Glad to have been corrected regarding this model.