[SOLVED] will I overheat this drive in large file transfer? 8T external seagate

Pc6777

Honorable
Dec 18, 2014
This is the drive I ordered https://www.newegg.com/black-seagate-expansion-8tb/p/N82E16822178951?Item=N82E16822178951 Im gona use it with a different 8 terabyte to store files(same data on both drives). it seems this is a cheaper archival grade drive in an enclosure, will I overheat it transferring over 2 terabytes to it in one sitting? Or will its protections turn on and slow down? Im just gona use this drive to store backups, not run stuff live(if I do wont be often anyway).

Reactions: Compused
Solution
It should be fine. Drives are quite used to spinning for that length of time or longer. It's not 2Tb all at once, it's 2Tb at the regular speed of the drive.

If hdds can survive in the dismal cooling of a laptop, that's got a cooking cpu and gpu running at 90°+ when gaming, not to mention the battery heat, one hdd by itself should be good.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Never heard of a drive overheating on its own, under any use case. Only ever heard of drives overheating due to environmental conditions, like it got parked next to a heater or sitting in a gaming pc that's got no real airflow and hasn't been cleaned in years.

Pc6777

Honorable
Dec 18, 2014
Never heard of a drive overheating on its own, under any use case. Only ever heard of drives overheating due to environmental conditions, like it got parked next to a heater or sitting in a gaming pc that's got no real airflow and hasn't been cleaned in years.
yea, mine normally stay cool in my pc case, I was asking because its external and has no cooling and I don't want to remove the drive unless I have to(like if the usb controller breaks) until warranty is up. do drives throttle if they get too hot and get slow? I would rather it throttle itself and not die on me, but it will be a 2.5-3 ish terabyte transfer all at once I will let it go overnight.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It should be fine. Drives are quite used to spinning for that length of time or longer. It's not 2Tb all at once, it's 2Tb at the regular speed of the drive.

If hdds can survive in the dismal cooling of a laptop, that's got a cooking cpu and gpu running at 90°+ when gaming, not to mention the battery heat, one hdd by itself should be good.

Solution

Pc6777

Honorable
Dec 18, 2014

good points

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
With an external, speeds are generally relative to the connection. If it's a USB-C port, that's properly connected to an A-type on a motherboard and not using a USB3 adapter, the drive is going to be way faster than a USB2 connection. Upto the drives limits, naturally.

Also, you did state backup overnight, so speeds are a relative thing, start the backup, go to bed, and in the morning it's done, doesn't really matter much if it completed the backup in 1 hour or 4 hours. Only really matters if you are actually waiting on completion or its still not done in the morning.

TRENDING THREADS