Pijmzhchus

Honorable
Jul 28, 2016
I just bought used RTX 2070 for 290€. Will I regret doing this? I'm asking this because used GPUs are expected to drop in price after the release of RTX 3060 and the release of Big Navi from AMD. I was scouting for about a month to get a somewhat decent price for the RTX 2070. Was it a good deal? I'm upgrading from RX 570 4GB if anyone's wondering. Thanks!

ssal

Commendable
Aug 20, 2020
I just bought used RTX 2070 for 290€. Will I regret doing this? I'm asking this because used GPUs are expected to drop in price after the release of RTX 3060 and the release of Big Navi from AMD. I was scouting for about a month to get a somewhat decent price for the RTX 2070. Was it a good deal? I'm upgrading from RX 570 4GB if anyone's wondering. Thanks!
Sounds like a typical buyer's remorse to me.

ajr1775

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2014

Buy new. Buy an RTX 2070 new from EVGA. Then step up to a 3070. Check to see if EVGA has the step up program in your country first though.

tsibiski

Reputable
Jun 23, 2019
Your 2070 will be able to handle some heavy gaming loads for the next two years. So if will satisfy, seemingly, everything you needed and wanted.

If you wanted the best possible performance for the best possible price, you could have gotten an RTX 3070 for the same price as a brand new RTX 2070. But you didn't want to pay that price, so you got it at a discount. You ultimately paid less for a 2070 than you would have if you paid for a 3070, and it will most likely be just as useful as if you had bought a brand new 2070.

So all in all, if I was you, if you had done it, I'd regret having bought a brand new 2070, when the same-priced 3070 would be around 50% better. Since you didn't buy brand new, I wouldn't feel as bad.

Although, I would not have bought a used RTX 2070 for more than 50% of its new price, myself. I realize that there may not be one at that price, but I just would never do that for used tech myself.

All things considered, I don't think you have too much to regret, especially because you wanted the instant gratification, and this was probably the only way to get that. And it sounds like you were willing to trade that for some possible regret later. It's a trade off. But your 2070 will not be any less effective now after the 3070 is released on October 29th.

Reactions: spacejunk

Joseph_138

Distinguished
"lose some value" is irrelevant if the thing does what YOU want it to do.

It is not irrelevant when you can spend that money on a card that does what you want it to better and draws less power while doing it. You'll be throwing away even more money on your electricity bill on top of the depreciation. Let the guy with the card for sale take the depreciation hit when the new cards start becoming widely available. You'd be stupid to take that hit yourself.

spacejunk

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2012
Your 2070 will be able to handle some heavy gaming loads for the next two years. So if will satisfy, seemingly, everything you needed and wanted.

If you wanted the best possible performance for the best possible price, you could have gotten an RTX 3070 for the same price as a brand new RTX 2070. But you didn't want to pay that price, so you got it at a discount. You ultimately paid less for a 2070 than you would have if you paid for a 3070, and it will most likely be just as useful as if you had bought a brand new 2070.

So all in all, if I was you, if you had done it, I'd regret having bought a brand new 2070, when the same-priced 3070 would be around 50% better. Since you didn't buy brand new, I wouldn't feel as bad.

Although, I would not have bought a used RTX 2070 for more than 50% of its new price, myself. I realize that there may not be one at that price, but I just would never do that for used tech myself.

All things considered, I don't think you have too much to regret, especially because you wanted the instant gratification, and this was probably the only way to get that. And it sounds like you were willing to trade that for some possible regret later. It's a trade off. But your 2070 will not be any less effective now after the 3070 is released on October 29th.

Well put.

The only reason I don't have any regrets about my 2070-s is that I bought it nearly a year ago. Had I of known about the 3x launch at the time I still would have bought it, only because I really needed the upgrade.

I'm quite happy with the timing and choice of that upgrade as I think it puts me in a good position to wait out the beta phase of the 3x launch.

TRENDING THREADS