[SOLVED] Will i see any kind of improvement if i change this cpu!!!

Harbintatamata

Prominent
Jun 20, 2020
Hello.
-So unfortunately months ago i upgraded my gpu and psu, but due to the lack of knowledge as an amateur i didnt recognize the bottleneck that ill recieve, i did a big mistake for not checking if the cpu is compatible and will deal greatly with the gpu that i was about to buy. So likewise i felt somehow a compunction, i felt really bad because i spent a bunch of moneys on a gtx 1660 and a corsair cx550 thinking that it'll improve my ingame performance such as fps. My current processor is i5-4440 3.10ghz, it was hell for me to see that this cpu and the gtx 1660 will produce +37% bottleneck, which means that ill lose about half of the fps that i wouldve got with a better cpu. And i can really say that it discouraged me to that max seeing that even the low end games couldnt run in +100-120fps due to the bottleneck, simply the cpu limits the gpu usage and it doesnt let it work, in every game i check the task manager, the cpu is always like 90-100%, and the gpu wont even work itself up to 7-10%, which means the gtx is sleeping always when im playing games in this computer. So i did some research, and in this case its always better to buy a new cpu, but i dont wanna spend a lot of moneys changing the whole motherboard. I saw with what cpus was my motherboard compatible with, uptop with all 4th generation processors. I did some bottleneck test which one will fit me the best, tried every processor that my motherboard is compatible with and in the end i came out with the fact that the least bottleneck cpu ill get is 7percentage with this i7-4790k 4.00ghz.

So my question right now is, because im looking forward to swap this i5-4440 and buy a i7-4790k.... Will i see any kind of improvement in game? Will this tell a big difference ingame? From +37%bottleneck to 7% bottleneck (1080p)..! In my comprehension i believe one hundred percent that simply ill get a +50fps increase in each and every single game based on what ive checked and what ive seen. Because this i5 is killing me and its not letting the gpu work at all. So with the i7 i believe that ill see big improvements.... (Cant even make ingame graphics low because it doesnt matter if its low or high, i usually get the same fps everytime due to bottleneck, even when i stretch the game which means an extra fps, i usually end up with a lower fps because i decrease the gpu usage and increase the cpu usage), frustrating as hell.

Specification
Processor: i5 4440 3.10ghz ---> Looking to upgrade it to i7 4790k as i mentioned above
RAM: 16gb
GPU: Gtx 1660 6gb
Motherboard: Gigabyte h81m-s
PSU: Corsais CX550

Solution
Where did you get those bottleneck figures from??? Although there might be bottleneck, no tool can give you exact numbers as it varies game to game and depends on a lot of things like monitor resolution, in game settings etc. If you relied on some website, those are usually garbage.
The 4770k should improve your performance, but doesn't mean you cannot go for a non "K" chip. Since you dont have a "Z" chipset, you cannot OC the CPUs.
Where did you get those bottleneck figures from??? Although there might be bottleneck, no tool can give you exact numbers as it varies game to game and depends on a lot of things like monitor resolution, in game settings etc. If you relied on some website, those are usually garbage.
The 4770k should improve your performance, but doesn't mean you cannot go for a non "K" chip. Since you dont have a "Z" chipset, you cannot OC the CPUs.

Reactions: SamirD
Solution

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
H81 can't overclock, but the 4790k still has the highest boost out of the line-up.

Really depends on how much the CPU costs and how much you have to spend. Spending $200 on it makes little sense, since at that point you could grab an i3-10100, new board, and some ram for a little over that and be ahead on performance (and get PCIe 3.0)

If you can afford $300, you should look at a i5 build.

Harbintatamata

Prominent
Jun 20, 2020
don't waste your time on those bottleneck test site
i7 would give you 4 HT thread, faster Ghz.

What game? what resolution?
Well thats whats frustrating for me, because before i bought the gtx 1660 i had a gtx650 1gb which was totally garbage but runned games like csgo and valorant on +100fps, now after i bought gtx 1660 which meant that i was supposed to see a big difference, i still get the same amount of fps, theres just a little lets say "increase fps performance" difference between the gpus. But i expected better, because thats how it was supposed to be, i mean a gtx 1660 on low settings/stretch resolution should destroy a game like valorant on +150-200fps... Thats why i figured out that cpu limits my gpu and theyre not compatible to each other. Ive also figured out that i even get the same amount of fps on high-ultra settings, thats ridiculous, i mean what does that even supposed to mean, 100-120fps on low and ultra settings? Thats just absurd, you can clearly see that the cpu limits the gpu, it doesnt let the gpu gives it max performance and do the max work. Thats all practically. Now i know that theres cpu and gpu bound games but i really have tested a lot of games and got dissapointed in the end, because its immposible to get 90-100fps on a game like csgo with all low settings and a stretch resolution such as 1440x1080 or maybe even lower. And lets not talk about the fact that i have a lot of stuttering and drop fps ingame when theres a lot of details or lets say fights going around, my fps usually drops to 0 fps every 10 seconds when im in the middle of the fight, freezes a lot, cuz the cpu usage is always 90-100%.

Games i usually play are: Valorant, Dota, Csgo, Rainbow six siege, warzone, fortnite, open world games such as (gta5, dishnored 2, assassins creed, tomb raider)....
My monitor: Benq zowie 144hz 1920x1080 (this is the reason that i want to reach that +144fps, and i think an i7 with a lower percentage bottleneck will offer that to me, i really believe that, because comparing to my current processor, theres a one hundred percent chance that with an i7-4790k ill get at least +20-30fps more in low settings. And i think that you understand this phase too.

Harbintatamata

Prominent
Jun 20, 2020
Im not looking to OC the cpus, im just looking for a slight increase performance because its actually ridiculous to play games with the same amount of fps on low and ultra settings at the same time. Thats absurd because a gtx 1660 on low settings and a stretch resolution should bomb and destroy games like csgo and valorant on +150fps at least. And whats more funnier is that before i bought the gtx 1660 i had a chinese gtx 650 1gb which was totally garbage, but somehow that gtx 650 runned games like csgo and valorant on 100fps, and somehow somewhat i get the same amount of fps with my gtx 1660 which is unbelieveable. In my consent, because i really did a lot of researched around this and tested a lot of games, got dissapointed in the end. I really one hundred percent believe that a better cpu such as i7-4790k which is the best that my motherboard can afford would give me an increased performance, because practically you can see that the cpu limits the gpu, it doesnt let it do the work, it doesnt lets the gpu gives the best work out of it, its literally sleeping on everygame, the cpu percentage on task manager is always 90-100% and the gpu is around 10%. And lets not talk about the fact that when the cpu usage is 100% it gives me a lot of freezes and stuttering ingame.

Harbintatamata

Prominent
Jun 20, 2020
H81 can't overclock, but the 4790k still has the highest boost out of the line-up.

Really depends on how much the CPU costs and how much you have to spend. Spending $200 on it makes little sense, since at that point you could grab an i3-10100, new board, and some ram for a little over that and be ahead on performance (and get PCIe 3.0)

If you can afford $300, you should look at a i5 build.
Ill purchase the i7-4790k for like 150$, because if i change the motherboard that will cost me the ram too, and id need to spend more moneys. And im not looking to overclock it, i mean if its not needed because if it gives me what i want, i will not overclock it.

Harbintatamata

Prominent
Jun 20, 2020
Yes a 4790k at 1080p is is a strong performer. Your motherboard pcie 16 runs at pcie 2.0 for graphics but it will only cost you a couple of fps. I don't know if your motherboard allows overclocking of your cpu, but if it does the 4790k is a great over clocker.
Im not really looking to overclock it, if it gives me what i want which is a slight increase performance, i will not. Because its ridiculous to run games such as csgo or valorant on stretch resolution and all maxed low settings for +120fps, you can clearly see that practically the cpu limits the gpu and wont let it do the max work, it doesnt let it gives the best out of it. Which a gtx 1660 on low settings should bomb and destroy games like valorant on +150-200fps. And i think an i7-4790k will accomplish that for me.

I have a 16gb ram, 8x2 1666mhz. Not the best, but im not that kind of guy who likes to play games for the looks of it. Im somehow a competetive player, i like to play games on very low settings and stretch resolutions, get the best performance out of it.

Im not looking to OC the cpus, im just looking for a slight increase performance because its actually ridiculous to play games with the same amount of fps on low and ultra settings at the same time. Thats absurd because a gtx 1660 on low settings and a stretch resolution should bomb and destroy games like csgo and valorant on +150fps at least. And whats more funnier is that before i bought the gtx 1660 i had a chinese gtx 650 1gb which was totally garbage, but somehow that gtx 650 runned games like csgo and valorant on 100fps, and somehow somewhat i get the same amount of fps with my gtx 1660 which is unbelieveable. In my consent, because i really did a lot of researched around this and tested a lot of games, got dissapointed in the end. I really one hundred percent believe that a better cpu such as i7-4790k which is the best that my motherboard can afford would give me an increased performance, because practically you can see that the cpu limits the gpu, it doesnt let it do the work, it doesnt lets the gpu gives the best work out of it, its literally sleeping on everygame, the cpu percentage on task manager is always 90-100% and the gpu is around 10%. And lets not talk about the fact that when the cpu usage is 100% it gives me a lot of freezes and stuttering ingame.
Yep, looks like you have done your research well. Go for it. You should definitely see better performance, specially on CPU bound titles like CSGO.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I would try some low-ball Ebay attempts. $150 is a lot to pay for a 4th gen. You could also go for a plain 4790 which is about half the cost. Still a 4.0Ghz boost rather than 4.4 Ghz, but the same cache and hyperthreading.

4790k will be an improvement, but not amazingly so for high FPS gaming. You want the fastest CPU possible when you want to run low settings.

Conversely, you could just run at a higher resolution and settings and not suffer any FPS loss.

Reaper_7799

Distinguished
You could try to run dsr factors and have it run at 1440p so the gpu does more work, it may or may not put out more fps but it might be the same. I ran into same prob with my 4790K, alghough mine was I think defective, it was really bad at 1080p/1440p but a good 4790k with an overclock should give you a good bit more fps at 1080p vs i5 same generation.

The best thing to do, would be to upgrade to a 10400 or even the new i3's since they are 4/8 threads but new gen ipc increases etc, a cheap b460 mobo and just cheap ddr4, the new gens are really strong 1080p. You could probably do all for around $330 plus tax in the US, probably $75 less for i3. But if you really can't, 4790K should give you at least 30ish fps, it should be more but you never know strength of chip etc. And you'd need decent air or water cooler.

If you don't OC 4790k, it would still be stronger ...I would think it should hit close to 200fps in csgo and valorant low settings.

Last edited:
So the problem is that your single thread performance isn't fast enough. Luckily, you have a lot of choices that will almost immediately give you a 10% boost in speed, and then a cpu like the 4790k that is at least 20% faster single thread:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...vs-Intel-i7-4770/2017vs2226vs2275vs1919vs1907

I'd look at everything available to you and figure out which is the best value for your money. Just make sure these are genuine used cpus and not 'new' fakes stuffed with malware or some other shady situation.

Depending on your motherboard's capabilities, you may want to also consider some of the xeons available for lga1150 as they might even be a better value.

Reactions: Hellfire13
The i3 actually has the fastest single thread performance by far, even versus the i5:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...l-i7-4790K-vs-Intel-i5-10400/3890vs2275vs3737

userbenchmark is junk.
I know its not accurate but it does give you a rough idea about what to expect.

Anyways, even if it is faster than the i5, going from 8 thread to 8 thread at that cost is kind of side grade rather than upgrade. For a regular user it might not give them the wow factor they usually expect as ROI. It would have had made more sense around $100-$150 mark. The i5 is way cheaper than that i3 atm.

Last edited:

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador

Anyways, even if it is faster than the i5, going from 8 thread to 8 thread at that cost is kind of side grade rather than upgrade. For a regular user it might not give them the wow factor they usually expect as ROI. It would have had made more sense around $100-$150 mark. The i5 is way cheaper than that i3 atm.

Also works better for multithread applications and games. Battlefield loves threads.

Reactions: Hellfire13

Reaper_7799

Distinguished
10400 makes sense but the i3s wont make much sense even if we take the fastest one available at $250...
https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4790K-vs-Intel-Core-i3-10320/2384vsm1180543

I forgot that 4440 is a 4/4 threads with low clocks, so yeah if you can find a legitimate 4790K, that should be a good upgrade at least fps wise, to push out low settings 1080p, high fps. Should be a decent difference, actually. I3 at $250 makes no sense, I saw them before on sale around $150 or less I think. I5 is on sale at $189 right now.

It actually is wrong several times, hence why I never started using it for relative comparisons.

It's the single thread performance that gives a huge boost and that's basically what the OP is after, hence why it even surprised me as the i5 generally would be faster all around and with more cores. I think that's why the i5 is cheaper than the i3.

It actually is wrong several times, hence why I never started using it for relative comparisons.

It's the single thread performance that gives a huge boost and that's basically what the OP is after, hence why it even surprised me as the i5 generally would be faster all around and with more cores. I think that's why the i5 is cheaper than the i3.
Less cores will boost more due to generation of less heat. Its no surprise. But what we are talking about is price to performance ratio. The 4770k in this case looks far better prospect at those prices.