[SOLVED] Will I see gains in gaming fps if I upgrade my 6700K to 9900KS even if the games I play are not maxing out my current processor?

SSA90

Honorable
Feb 17, 2014
My specs:
CPU: 6700k 4.5ghz 1.36volt (NH-U12A)
Motherboard: Asus Formula VIII
Ram: Team Dark Pro 8x2 3200mhz CL4
SSD/HDD: Team Dark 480gb
GPU: 1080ti EVGA Hybrid OC (2050mhz core, 6000mhz mem)
PSU: Cooler Master 750w gold
Chassis: Cooler Master Master Case Maker 5
Monitor: Asus XG258Q 240hz 1080p

I have an opportunity to upgrade my processor+motherboard and shift my old processor+motherboard to a secondary pc.

Non of the games I play currently , slams my cpu to 100% usage but I have seen high 60-70% and some spikes to 100% in Destiny 2 and read dead redemption. So I was wondering whether I would benefit more from just a cpu upgrade considering my 1080ti doesn't even reach 100% usage in most games or should I just upgrade my gpu sometime down the line?

I couldn't find any charts that compares 1080ti and 6700k vs 1080ti and 9900KS :(

Goal is to get avg 200 fps on 1080p for most games.

Solution
I'd say to stick to what you have. Save the money for a better platform later down the road. I also wouldn't go for Intel, not until they have a better answer to what AMD is pumping out now.

You also are on high volts for that processor, in spite of being sub 5GHz. See if you can tone that down a little. Apart from those two games what other titles do you tax the system with? Realistically, 200FPS is a little absurd unless you're looking at a higher end GPU.

Lutfij

Titan
I'd say to stick to what you have. Save the money for a better platform later down the road. I also wouldn't go for Intel, not until they have a better answer to what AMD is pumping out now.

You also are on high volts for that processor, in spite of being sub 5GHz. See if you can tone that down a little. Apart from those two games what other titles do you tax the system with? Realistically, 200FPS is a little absurd unless you're looking at a higher end GPU.

Solution

Endre

Reputable
A better build is after all... a better build!

But if you’re not doing much with your PC, you won’t be able to see the difference.

It’s like: “will I carry this empty bag better after 1 year of going to gym?” 😄