[SOLVED] Will I see much difference with this improvement? (1060 > 2070super)

Fluffen

Reputable
Jan 9, 2016
Hello,

I'm currently using a Nvidia GTX 1060 Zotac and I'm currently thinking about upgrading to Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Windforce OC.

My question is do you think I would see noticeable improvement making the £479 price point worth it?

I can currently run most games on medium/high settings but I'm wanting to make my PC VR ready but I'm more of a software guy than hardware so I'm a little lost at all the choice.

The main game I'd like more performance from is Arma 3 which I know is more CPU based but I'd like higher performance on everything to make sure I can run VR well on decent settings.

The rest of my specs are as follows, if you see any other things I should improve please let me know :)

CPU: Intel Core i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz Kaby Lake
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB ZOTAC
Memory: 16GB DDR4 1200MHz

Thanks in advance

Solution
You're looking at a doubling of FPS.
What monitor do you have? brand/model or resolution/refresh rate.

qiFhDUmoHxWyDDug2UjKyZ-650-80.png

9hge7HNMYMg3FeBeKfjbVe-650-80.png
D

Deleted member 2720853

1440p144hz? 2070 Super is the best choice for it. Make sure to overclock it in Afterburner using the OC scanner feature, free and safe performance boost for Turing cards.

Over the 1060, that thing's going be a noticeable difference. I would not invest in any GPU other than the 2070/2070 Super in this day and age now that the RTX 30 Series & AMD RDNA 2 GPUs are right around the corner.

Reactions: Fluffen

Fluffen

Reputable
Jan 9, 2016
1440p144hz? 2070 Super is the best choice for it. Make sure to overclock it in Afterburner using the OC scanner feature, free and safe performance boost for Turing cards.

Over the 1060, that thing's going be a noticeable difference. I would not invest in any GPU other than the 2070/2070 Super in this day and age now that the RTX 30 Series & AMD RDNA 2 GPUs are right around the corner.

I've never overclocked anything before and I'm running all the above mentioned specs at the factory rate.

I'd be interested in squeezing more performance out of my stuff as long as it's safe. Is afterburner included with the card or is it 3rd party software?

D

Deleted member 2720853

I've never overclocked anything before and I'm running all the above mentioned specs at the factory rate.

I'd be interested in squeezing more performance out of my stuff as long as it's safe. Is afterburner included with the card or is it 3rd party software?
You download it from MSI's website. Once you're in, put the Power Limit slider to max, don't mess with the voltage slider, leave the temperature slider as is, then click the "OC Scanner" button at the top left and let the program do the overclocking for you.

It will tell you what the average stable overclock is, in my case 165 MHz, so I set the core clock slider to +165 MHz. Your result may differ.

After that, incrementally overclock the memory by 100 MHz each time until you start to see artifacts or it's not stable anymore. I recommend you stay in the +750 MHz - +1050 MHz range.

Don't worry, if you reach an unstable overclock, the card will just reset its clocks or, in the worst case scenario, your system will lock up and you'll have to do a restart from the power button. No damage will be done, clocks will reset on startup once again. Do not enable MSI Afterburner to set the OC profile at startup so you can undo any damage, only enable it after finding a stable OC.

Overclocking GPU is completely safe, especially on the RTX series, so don't worry about it.

Then again, what is your PSU?

Reactions: Fluffen

Fluffen

Reputable
Jan 9, 2016
You download it from MSI's website. Once you're in, put the Power Limit slider to max, don't mess with the voltage slider, leave the temperature slider as is, then click the "OC Scanner" button at the top left and let the program do the overclocking for you.

It will tell you what the average stable overclock is, in my case 165 MHz, so I set the core clock slider to +165 MHz. Your result may differ.

After that, incrementally overclock the memory by 100 MHz each time until you start to see artifacts or it's not stable anymore. I recommend you stay in the +750 MHz - +1050 MHz range.

Don't worry, if you reach an unstable overclock, the card will just reset its clocks or, in the worst case scenario, your system will lock up and you'll have to do a restart from the power button. No damage will be done, clocks will reset on startup once again. Do not enable MSI Afterburner to set the OC profile at startup so you can undo any damage, only enable it after finding a stable OC.

Overclocking GPU is completely safe, especially on the RTX series, so don't worry about it.

Then again, what is your PSU?

PSU is Corsair 1000rm so probably fine in that area ;)

Thanks for the tips, I'm going to bookmark this thread and come back to it once the card arrives. Cheers.