Will i5 6600k bottleneck a gtx 1080 at 1080p?

Jun 21, 2018
Currently looking to upgrade gpu and possibly thinking about upgrading to 1440p or getting a better CPU after that. The current 6600k I have is over clocked to 4.3Ghz.

Would going for a GTX 1080 with the 6600k produce better framerates than with a 1070 or would the bottleneck seriously impact performance?

I've heard some places that the 6600k OC'd does bottleneck it, and some places that it doesn't. Would just like some closure on whether I should go for the 1080 or whether the 1070 or possibly a 1070 TI would produce better results.

Solution
The reason you hear different results is because different games will demand more(or less) from a CPU. For the most part, at 1080p the CPU is the limiting factor with cards like the ones you mention. That's because neither the 1070 nor 1080 will have a problem running any game at that resolution.

Some newer games don't run at their full potential with only 4 cores/4 threads, even if you overclocked the quad core. Sometimes a high clockspeed isn't enough.
The reason you hear different results is because different games will demand more(or less) from a CPU. For the most part, at 1080p the CPU is the limiting factor with cards like the ones you mention. That's because neither the 1070 nor 1080 will have a problem running any game at that resolution.

Some newer games don't run at their full potential with only 4 cores/4 threads, even if you overclocked the quad core. Sometimes a high clockspeed isn't enough.

Solution