[SOLVED] Will i5 8400 stock cooler work with i7 8700k

Solution
Yes, the i7 will need more cooling being a faster, higher thread processor. Would recommend Dark Rock Pro 4 or Noctua D15/15s. Tower coolers do need a back plate for support so you may need to remove the motherboard to install the bracket if can't access it from behind as is.

Check heatsink dimensions and make sure case can accommodate. Ram clearance may be an issue if populating the first dimm slot closest to cpu or on a mATX board. If have an ATX board and using two slots (2nd & 4th), clearance should be fine, without or with adjusting the fan clips a little.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, the i7 will need more cooling being a faster, higher thread processor. Would recommend Dark Rock Pro 4 or Noctua D15/15s. Tower coolers do need a back plate for support so you may need to remove the motherboard to install the bracket if can't access it from behind as is.

Check heatsink dimensions and make sure case can accommodate. Ram clearance may be an issue if populating the first dimm slot closest to cpu or on a mATX board. If have an ATX board and using two slots (2nd & 4th), clearance should be fine, without or with adjusting the fan clips a little.

Solution