[SOLVED] Will i7 7700k bottleneck my new RTX 3060 Ti?

Status
Not open for further replies.

respeccbanana

Honorable
Feb 1, 2019
I plan on making a new upgrade from my RTX 2060 to RTX 3060 Ti. My cpu is i7 7700k (4.5Ghz not overclocked) and I was wondering if there will be a bottleneck? I play @1080p 144hz FPS games. I also have 16gb RAM 3000mhz. Thanks!

I plan on making a new upgrade from my RTX 2060 to RTX 3060 Ti. My cpu is i7 7700k (4.5Ghz not overclocked) and I was wondering if there will be a bottleneck? I play @1080p 144hz FPS games. I also have 16gb RAM 3000mhz. Thanks!

There are some situations, depending on which game you're playing, that the 7700k can bottleneck your system. Games like GodFall and Hitman 2 show a large uplift with a faster cpu and with more cores when playing at 1080p...the differences fall off rapidly when resolution increases to the point where at 4k the load is almost entirely on the GPU.

There are in fact some games where even a Ryzen 3600, by all accounts a better cpu than the 7700k at pretty much everything, is limiting frame rates at 1080p.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ko2KTKOcQQ8

USAFRet

Titan
What do you mean by: Even while the mythical "bottleneck" number is (?)
'bottleneck' can't be assigned a number. It is mostly an irrelevant concept.

OK.....

Lets take 2 components, evenly matched.
My parts for instance. An i7-4790k, and RX580 8GB.
Let's assume that results in a tiny 'bottleneck'
Let's further assume that, in a particular game at medium quality graphics settings, it give a framrate of 100fps.

With me so far?

Now, lets swap in a much better GPU. A 3090 perhaps.
Now we have an older i7-4790k and a brand new hotrod RTX 3090 GPU.

Is there a larger or smaller 'bottleneck'?
What happens to the performance in game? Better or worse?

USAFRet

Titan
I understand that. But the question is: is the useless bottleneck maybe that big that you might consider buying a more new CPU?
"Bigness" doesn't matter.

Adding in better parts, you will get the same performance or better than what you had before.
It can't/won't result in less performance.

If one part is lacking, then you also replace that.

Reducing the bottleneck is not the goal. Increasing performance is the goal.

I understand that. But the question is: is the useless bottleneck maybe that big that you might consider buying a more new CPU?
If you are satisfied with the performance you are getting from your components,bottlenecking isnt really a reason to upgrade.I had a i3 3240 with 4gb r9 380.The CPU was to weak to for the GPU,but i was satisfied with the performance i was getting.Only when i couldnt reach lets say 60 fps in some games,i was considering and upgrade.I upgraded to a i3 10100f btw,hude difference.So long story short,if you are happy with your performance then there is no reason to upgrade.Maybe cosmetics,but thats another story.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS