Will increasing my Dedicated VRAM from 128 MBs to 4 GBs hurt my laptop?

kreeperskid

Prominent
Feb 12, 2018
I got a laptop for Christmas that can actually play modern games pretty decently (ArmA 3 Normal/High settings 50 FPS), and I saw that I can increase my VRAM by going into the BIOS, but I have some questions about it. What are the negative consequences of increasing VRAM? Will this hurt my laptop? How do I change my Dedicated VRAM through the BIOS (How do I access the BIOS to increase Dedicated VRAM)? What is the maximum I can set it to with 8 GBs of RAM?

Solution
All it will hurt is the amount of RAM available for the OS to use. This only affects the integrated graphics VRAM. If your laptop also has a dedicated GPU. Such as an nVidia. It won't help gameplay any. As it has its own dedicated VRAM and doesn't utilize system RAM for the GPU. Thus it is a pointless endeavor.

As for integrated graphics only systems. I don't see the point in going beyond 2GB. If that is an option. The integrated graphics is too slow to effectively make use of more than that.

Different manufacturers have different ways of getting into the BIOS at boot. Usually it is my tapping the Del, Esc or F2 key during boot before the OS starts loading right when you turn it on. Although yours may be a different key. So...
All it will hurt is the amount of RAM available for the OS to use. This only affects the integrated graphics VRAM. If your laptop also has a dedicated GPU. Such as an nVidia. It won't help gameplay any. As it has its own dedicated VRAM and doesn't utilize system RAM for the GPU. Thus it is a pointless endeavor.

As for integrated graphics only systems. I don't see the point in going beyond 2GB. If that is an option. The integrated graphics is too slow to effectively make use of more than that.

Different manufacturers have different ways of getting into the BIOS at boot. Usually it is my tapping the Del, Esc or F2 key during boot before the OS starts loading right when you turn it on. Although yours may be a different key. So, try F1 through F12. If those don't work.

Also I'm not certain about this. I think the integrated graphics will use more VRAM automatically if it is needed via shared memory. All the dedicated memory option in the BIOS does is set aside a specific minimum.

Solution