[SOLVED] Will increasing RAM increase shared system memory for integrated graphics?

Sep 21, 2020
I am planning to upgrade my quite old desktop PC's RAM as a temporary measure until I can save up for a new system. My system specs are: i5 2400 3.1gHz, Intel HD Graphics 2000, 2x2Gb DDR3 800mHz RAM, all in a Dell 0gdg8y motherboard. My system tells me it has 64mb of dedicated video memory, 1696mb of total available graphics memory, and 1632mb of shared system memory. Will upgrading to 2x4gb DDR3 1333mhz RAM increase my shared system memory as well? If so, will it show any improvement on things such as games and video streaming? I have checked that the replacement RAM sticks I have are compatible with my motherboard.

You could probably increase dedicated video memory to 256MB (with options in BIOS).
Total available graphics memory will still be limited to ~1.7GB.

By increasing system ram, graphics memory will not change.
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005472/graphics.html

Note - to use more than 4GB of system ram, OS has to be 64bit version. With 32bit version, total available system ram will be limited to ~3.5GB.

Solution