Will indexing service slow down machine?

Hi,

Two questions on Indexing serivces:

1) Will indexing service slow down the machine generally?

2) I am using my PC at home and seldom search for anything, do I really need
indexing services?

I am currently not using indexing serivces but I saw the item not installed
and was thinking of installing it. Please advice.

Thanks!

Indexing can slow the computer down,you'd notice if youre an on-line
gamer.However,install it in windows components,then if you R.click a
program,properties,advanced,allow to index,you can turn on indexing
when you want to.Go to run,type:services.msc locate indexing,turn on,
it'll only run till restart unless its in auto run.

"ScREWtop" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Two questions on Indexing serivces:
>
> 1) Will indexing service slow down the machine generally?
>
> 2) I am using my PC at home and seldom search for anything, do I really need
> indexing services?
>
> I am currently not using indexing serivces but I saw the item not installed
> and was thinking of installing it. Please advice.
>
> Thanks!

Yes.
No.

Ted Zieglar

"ScREWtop" <ScREWtop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:14738593-B87F-49D6-92A5-83538290D559@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> Two questions on Indexing serivces:
>
> 1) Will indexing service slow down the machine generally?
>
> 2) I am using my PC at home and seldom search for anything, do I really need
> indexing services?
>
> I am currently not using indexing serivces but I saw the item not installed
> and was thinking of installing it. Please advice.
>
> Thanks!

1. Yes. See this...
Windows XP may run slowly and you may see multiple symptoms in Windows Task
Manager
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;899869

2. No.See this...

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:14738593-B87F-49D6-92A5-83538290D559@microsoft.com,
ScREWtop <ScREWtop@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> Hi,
>
> Two questions on Indexing serivces:
>
> 1) Will indexing service slow down the machine generally?
>
> 2) I am using my PC at home and seldom search for anything, do I really
> need indexing services?
>
> I am currently not using indexing serivces but I saw the item not
> installed and was thinking of installing it. Please advice.
>
> Thanks!

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Two questions on Indexing serivces:
>
> 1) Will indexing service slow down the machine generally?
>
> 2) I am using my PC at home and seldom search for anything, do
> I really need
> indexing services?
>
> I am currently not using indexing serivces but I saw the item
> not installed
> and was thinking of installing it. Please advice.
>
> Thanks!

"1) Will indexing service slow down the machine generally?"
No, but it is a security risk.

"2) I am using my PC at home and seldom search for anything, do I
really need indexing services?"
No, all it dose is decreas search time for files.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Perform-Maintain-indexing-service-slow-machine-ftopict418742.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1398038

Why is it a security risk?

Thanks!

"Sparda" wrote:

> "" wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Two questions on Indexing serivces:
> >
> > 1) Will indexing service slow down the machine generally?
> >
> > 2) I am using my PC at home and seldom search for anything, do
> > I really need
> > indexing services?
> >
> > I am currently not using indexing serivces but I saw the item
> > not installed
> > and was thinking of installing it. Please advice.
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> "1) Will indexing service slow down the machine generally?"
> No, but it is a security risk.
>
> "2) I am using my PC at home and seldom search for anything, do I
> really need indexing services?"
> No, all it dose is decreas search time for files.

> Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Perform-Maintain-indexing-service-slow-machine-ftopict418742.html
> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1398038

mak

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001

1) No. (not in my expirience).
Creating new catalog as outlined here:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308202
result in CPU usage ~20-50%, commit charge goes up by 50MB, paging file (as
seen in perfmon, paging file %usage) by 5MB on this, relatevly slow laptop.
As soon as I touch keyboard or move mouse, everything is back to *normal*.
And this is new catalog. Never noticed it affecting anything, online games
included.

2) Only you can decide; indexing is not needed for file search, it helps
(speeds up the search) with contents search.
If you decided you don't want to index, you can
a) turn off indexing service (global)
b) uncheck indexing in drive properties

Question for Sprada: curious, why indexing is a *security risk*?

"ScREWtop" <ScREWtop@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> Two questions on Indexing serivces:
>
> 1) Will indexing service slow down the machine generally?
>
> 2) I am using my PC at home and seldom search for anything, do I really
> need
> indexing services?
>
> I am currently not using indexing serivces but I saw the item not
> installed
> and was thinking of installing it. Please advice.
>
> Thanks!

Good question.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.