[SOLVED] Will Intel 9th gen CPUs work on ASUS PRIME B360M-A

chenjohn274

Reputable
Feb 20, 2020
Motherboard = ASUS PRIME B360M-A. It supports 8th gen processor. I have a i5 9600K processor. Do I have to buy a 8th gen processor ?

Solution
You don't have to go for a Z390 Chipset. Your CPU will run just fine on another 9th Gen compatible board.

I only mentioned it in case you weren't aware of the differences, or maybe was considering overclocking sometime in the future.

If this is not important to you at all, and not something you are considering, then you don't need to look at a z390 motherboard.

Motherboards are quite pricey where I live, I don't really know how the general prices here translates to different countries.

I've seen Gigabyte Z390 UD being recommended sometims as a budget z390 MB.

But if it is outside your budget, don't worry about it and go for a B365 chipset instead

chenjohn274

Reputable
Feb 20, 2020
B360 board will most likely require BIOS update before i5-9600k can be used on it.
And yes - to perform BIOS update, 8th gen cpu will be required.
Hi, thankyou for replying. So in order to update the bios for the i5 9600k processor is to FIRST install a 8th gen processor? Are there any other ways? 8th gen processors are rare to find nowadays

The motherboard supports the i5 9600K from BIOS version 0803 and up. The most recent BIOS version is 2603

If BIOS version 0803 or later is installed, you don't need an 8th Gen to flash BIOS prior to using your 9600K

Usually there's a sticker on the bord that indicates what BIOS version it is shipped with.

EDIT : BIOS version CPU Support List

EDIT II : There are apparently two versions of the i5 9600K, one of them (8C Rev R0 65W) requires BIOS 2201, the other version (8C Rev P0 95W) requires BIOS 0803

Last edited:

chenjohn274

Reputable
Feb 20, 2020
The motherboard supports the i5 9600K from BIOS version 0803 and up. The most recent BIOS version is 2603

If BIOS version 0803 or later is installed, you don't need an 8th Gen to flash BIOS prior to using your 9600K

Usually there's a sticker on the bord that indicates what BIOS version it is shipped with.

EDIT : BIOS version CPU Support List

EDIT II : There are apparently two versions of the i5 9600K, one of them requires BIOS 2201
Hi, the motherboard is still in box, un-opened. And there is no sticker indicating the BIOS version. Is there any way to find out? Thankyou very much.

If it is unopened, and you can still return it, I would suggest you return it and buy a motherboard with a 9th gen compatible chipset instead.

If you can't return it, I've seen other people suggest that you take the board to a computer store and ask them to update BIOS for a small fee. That's not something I have any experience with myself though, but it might be worth considering.

But for the least amount of problems, change the motherboard for one that is natively 9th Gen compatible. Especially when taking into account that there are 2 different 9600K which each require different BIOS versions - as i add'ed in my first post.

Last edited:

chenjohn274

Reputable
Feb 20, 2020
If it is unopened, and you can still return it, I would suggest you return it and buy a motherboard with a 9th gen compatible chipset instead.

If you can't return it, I've seen other people suggest that you take the board to a computer store and ask them to update BIOS for a small fee. That's not something I have any experience with myself though, but it might be worth considering.

But for the least amount of problems, change the motherboard for one that is natively 9th Gen compatible. Especially when taking into account that there are 2 different 9600K which each require different BIOS versions - as i add'ed in my first post.
Hi, Thankyou for replying. Can you show me how to look for motherboards that are specifically made for 9th generation processors. Because there still exists many 8th gen motherboards and just require a BIOS update.

Since you have an unlocked K-model CPU, choosing the z390 chipset would make sense, if it is not outside your budget. Only the Z-series chipsets allow overclocking.

You don't have to use a z390 chipset for a K-model CPU of course, but if you choose the B365 chipset, you might as well have bought a non-K CPU. It is not important, I just thoughtt I'd mention it as I think it is worth considering at least before youu decide.

Last edited:
Well... if you really want to find out if the motherboard was updated with a bios that supports the 9th gen chips you should go ahead and install your 9600k.

If it doesn't post that means that you'll have to do what the guys above said. Otherwise you'll be good to go.

chenjohn274

Reputable
Feb 20, 2020
Since you have an unlocked K-model CPU, choosing the z390 chipset would make sense, if it is not outside your budget. Only the Z-series chipsets allow overclocking.

You don't have to use a z390 chipset for a K-model CPU of course, but if you choose the B365 chipset, you might as well have bought a non-K CPU. It is not important, I just thoughtt I'd mention it as I think it is worth considering at least before youu decide.
Hi, thankyou for replying. The Z390 chipset is quite pricey. Do you know any motherboards that is budget priced or at most $100ish. Thankyou for your help.

You don't have to go for a Z390 Chipset. Your CPU will run just fine on another 9th Gen compatible board.

I only mentioned it in case you weren't aware of the differences, or maybe was considering overclocking sometime in the future.

If this is not important to you at all, and not something you are considering, then you don't need to look at a z390 motherboard.

Motherboards are quite pricey where I live, I don't really know how the general prices here translates to different countries.

I've seen Gigabyte Z390 UD being recommended sometims as a budget z390 MB.

But if it is outside your budget, don't worry about it and go for a B365 chipset instead

Solution

TRENDING THREADS