Discussion Will Intel be able to keep up with each Windows release? CPU vs OS requirements

Gamefreaknet

Commendable
Mar 29, 2022
Ok. Those who are more experienced in tech I understand this may sound like a stupid question however here is my basis:
1: Windows 11 more recently released however not all processors were elegible (around mid tier i5s, to higher tier i3s and better with the exception of some pentium processors)
2: The above ^ means a lot of the past processors that even Windows 10 could run on essentially couldn't continue unless the Computer owner got a CPU upgrade (and a RAM upgrade if required)
3: There are already rumours around Windows 12 being released | here | here | here
4: The release of Intel 12th and 13th gen has only been recent (after Windows 11 released)

Also considering on my current laptop (Alienware M15 R1) with the processor, i7 8750H definitely started to be pressured a bit more by Windows 11 as the CPU usage went from (casualy browsing) 5% on Windows 10 to 15% - 20% usage just browsing which could suggest that a similar usage increase could come with Windows 12 thus making more processors unable to run it. Considering that increment of usage on a Gaming Laptop just browsing the impact on games considering that usage will increase which could make some i5s and i7s unsupported for Windows 12 (and possibly even some Xeons). The i9 brand of Intel quite honestly has stood as the "processor that is nice to have but not required" since i9s generally have so much power thus Intel maybe hasn't seen the need to make an i11 or whatever their next processor lineup may be however it takes time to manufacture such high quality, high speed processors just as it will also take time for Microsoft to Release Windows 12 however the Hybrid Architechture showing up in 12th and 13th gen is not in a lot of previous generation processors. Whilst the 7th gen+ (im assuming) might have enough horsepower to stay relevant in Windows 12 that will eliminate a lot of processors available for future PCs thus likely making future builds ever more expensive which a lot of people may not be able to afford (based of current situation).

I know how random this is but like views on how the pre-emption of Windows 12 being released and it's impact on supported systems?

D

Deleted member 14196

Don’t always believe rumors. I highly doubt windows 12 will have any more hardware requirements, except for maybe enforcing secure boot.

It’s more of a question is whether customers buy the new hardware that’s required or will they say screw it and stay behind

USAFRet

Titan
It would be pretty silly to release an OS that period compatible CPU can't run.

The requirements for WIN 11 were nothing new.
We were really spoiled by the backwards compatibility of Win 10.
Previous Windows OSs were not as forgiving of older hardware.

In addition, the TPM 'requirement' was also nothing new. MS had been wanting that for years, and the manufacturers blew them off. SO they forced the issue with Win 11.

The i9 brand of Intel quite honestly has stood as the "processor that is nice to have but not required" since i9s generally have so much power
The exact same thing was said when people had 8088 and 80286 systems, and the 80386 was released. "No one needs that outside of a data center"

Also considering on my current laptop (Alienware M15 R1) with the processor, i7 8750H definitely started to be pressured a bit more by Windows 11 as the CPU usage went from (casualy browsing) 5% on Windows 10 to 15% - 20% usage just browsing which could suggest that a similar usage increase could come with Windows 12 thus making more processors unable to run it.
By the time Win 10 falls off support, your laptop will be 7 years old.
By the time Win 11 goes away, well over a decade.
Pretty good run for a midrange laptop.

falcon291

Honorable
Jul 17, 2019
1. I think Windows 12 will be released in the future, but it will at least take a few years. At least 2024, but probably 2025 or later.

2. I don't think the hardware requirements for Windows 12 will be different than Windows 11. Windows 11's requirement changes were an exception not the norm.

D

Deleted member 14196

The article that he liked said expected around 2030 so, you’ve got time to do whatever it is you have to do and worry about 2030 when it gets here

joeldf

Commendable
Oct 11, 2021
1: Windows 11 more recently released however not all processors were elegible (around mid tier i5s, to higher tier i3s and better with the exception of some pentium processors)

That's not an accurate statement.

It had nothing to do with the "tier" of a family (i5 or i3). It was the age, or "generation" of the entire line released in any given year. In other words, from the 8th generation to newer, all i3s and i5s are supported regardless of "tier". All i7s and i9s as well.

Now, there are a few 7th gen i7 and i9 models that are supported, but they are the ones made later in the second half of that year (2017).

ubuysa

Distinguished
I suspect from the OP's initial statements that you don't fully appreciate why Windows 11 was released, and why it's not available to 'older' CPUs?

The short answer is, that around the time of the Intel 8th generation, new hardware security features were added to these (and all later) CPUs that could be utilised by Windows to greatly improve system security.

This left Microsoft with a dilemma; if they updated Windows 10 to use these new features then everyone running a pre-8th gen Intel CPU (and corresponding AMD CPUs), that didn't have the required hardware features, would simply stop working.

Their (sensible) solution was to introduce Windows11, which did contain support for these new hardware security features, and which consequently ran only on 8th gen (and later) CPUs. They continued to support Windows 10 (until 2025 at least) for all those using pre-8th gen CPUs.

Note that it is possible to install Windows 11 on some pre-8th gen CPUs. I've had in running on my i7-6700 for example, because the key security feature (HVCI) can be emulated in software, which means there is a performance hit when running Windows 11 on pre-8th gen CPUs.

I suspect the answer to your question 'will Intel be able to keep up with Windows' is to miss the point. Intel (and AMD) and Microsoft work hand-in-glove to develop their products. It would be pointless were Intel or AMD to introduce features that Windows couldn't exploit, or vice-versa.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I highly doubt windows 12 will have any more hardware requirements, except for maybe enforcing secure boot.
this is probably about it. It took 5 years to convince manufacturers to even put tpm support on boards, they had wanted it in win 10... Win 12 might enforce Secure boot and add fluff to the UI... a normal Windows release

Win 10 had been made to compress the user base into one operating system, not across many like it was at time. So almost any PC could run it. To the determinant of the user. People who should have stayed on older OS installed it and then had all sorts of problems.
Win 11 isn't the same beast. There had to be a cut off point somewhere, hardware makers don't want to keep supporting old hardware. None of them are charities.