[SOLVED] Will Intel i7 9700k bottleneck RTX 4080?

gjwnsdn5

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2014
I am currently using intel i7 9700k + RTX 2080.
I am planning to upgrade my GPU into RTX 4080 but one of my mate told me that I need to change my CPU as well because it can bottleneck RTX 4080.
Is it true? Do I really need to upgrade my CPU as well?

Solution
Depends on resolution and fps. Sure, if asking for more fps than what 9700k is capable of giving then yeah most likely cpu with more grunt would help.

Lower details as much as possible and see where your frame rate sits. This is also game dependant and performance varies depending how cpu intensive in other areas the game is involved in other than dealing with prerendered frames at the same time. Ie Fortnite vs Cyberpunk. Fortnite can produce high amounts of fps because it's not all that involved with physics, post fx, draw distance, other stuff that makes Cyberpunk more cpu intensive. So try fps test with a game more demanding and that'll give you an idea how much more fps can be achieved and compare same title at review sites.

9700k...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Depends on resolution and fps. Sure, if asking for more fps than what 9700k is capable of giving then yeah most likely cpu with more grunt would help.

Lower details as much as possible and see where your frame rate sits. This is also game dependant and performance varies depending how cpu intensive in other areas the game is involved in other than dealing with prerendered frames at the same time. Ie Fortnite vs Cyberpunk. Fortnite can produce high amounts of fps because it's not all that involved with physics, post fx, draw distance, other stuff that makes Cyberpunk more cpu intensive. So try fps test with a game more demanding and that'll give you an idea how much more fps can be achieved and compare same title at review sites.

9700k should still provide good enough fps in most titles but lack of HT can let it down in some. But graphically, you'll be able to run same amount of fps but at much higher detail. Cpu = fps, gpu = eye candy.

Last edited:
Reactions: gjwnsdn5
Solution