[SOLVED] Will IP address change if I install a new OS in my company pc, it has an assigned ip

Status
Not open for further replies.

tlee404

Reputable
Jan 29, 2017
I messed up my os and need to reload a newer version. The IP is assigned and if it changes I will have to request the network group to set up the pc again. I would like to Avoid that. In other words, will changing the os change the current IP and computer name of the pc? They need to be the same to avoid going to the network group.

Last edited:
Solution
It's possible but there's no way to know for sure. Depends on things like ARP tables and reservations with your DHCP server.

Edit: As @Lutfij says, you could try entering all the info in manually but that may get you in trouble with your IT dept if everything is 'assigned' from a DHCP. It may also just not work if that IP has already been given to another device.
I think your right. The IP is already assigned to this pc. But I do not have the authority to change the computer name. So I installing another higher version of the os would likely clear the computer name. And the network would not see my pc. Thank you
It's possible but there's no way to know for sure. Depends on things like ARP tables and reservations with your DHCP server.

Edit: As @Lutfij says, you could try entering all the info in manually but that may get you in trouble with your IT dept if everything is 'assigned' from a DHCP. It may also just not work if that IP has already been given to another device.

Reactions: tlee404

tlee404

Reputable
Jan 29, 2017

I think your right. The IP is already assigned to this pc. But I do not have the authority to change the computer name. So I installing another higher version of the os would likely clear the computer name. And the network would not see my pc. Thank you

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.