[SOLVED] Will it be alright to leave my computer in the cold?

VERSION_1583

Commendable
May 7, 2021
My computer broked down so I won't e able to turn it on for a while. The UK whether is getting colder too.

So I was wondering if it was alright to just leave my switched off PC to the side near the window where its the coldest?

Solution
My computer broked down so I won't e able to turn it on for a while. The UK whether is getting colder too.

So I was wondering if it was alright to just leave my switched off PC to the side near the window where its the coldest?
Cold is not problem (unless excessive) just when you bring it in warm place let it acclimatize to room temperatures or moisture can form.

Cold is not problem (unless excessive) just when you bring it in warm place let it acclimatize to room temperatures or moisture can form.

Reactions: VERSION_1583
Solution

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
My guess is that CountMike's advice above is quite enough. I pretty sure what you describe as "colder" in the UK is not too severe, and the real risk s is only in moisture condensation.

As an extreme case, I'll tell you of the only time I have had problems in this area. I live in mid-Canada. 22 years ago I stored a small computer in an unheated garage for about a month in January, the very coldest part of the year. Overnight lows during that time ran between -15 and -35C. When I retrieved the unit from storage I did allow it to re-warm back to room temps for a day. But when I started it up, it could not boot. Apparently the HDD had developed a fatal error - I suspect moisture inside the unit, but I don't know. I had to replace the HDD with another that I loaded with a complete backup / clone of the original. (Yes, I had made that for emergency use), and it worked just fine after that replacement.

Reactions: punkncat

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
My guess is that CountMike's advice above is quite enough. I pretty sure what you describe as "colder" in the UK is not too severe, and the real risk s is only in moisture condensation.

As an extreme case, I'll tell you of the only time I have had problems in this area. I live in mid-Canada. 22 years ago I stored a small computer in an unheated garage for about a month in January, the very coldest part of the year. Overnight lows during that time ran between -15 and -35C. When I retrieved the unit from storage I did allow it to re-warm back to room temps for a day. But when I started it up, it could not boot. Apparently the HDD had developed a fatal error - I suspect moisture inside the unit, but I don't know. I had to replace the HDD with another that I loaded with a complete backup / clone of the original. (Yes, I had made that for emergency use), and it worked just fine after that replacement.

One of my friend's lives in Maine. I sent him an array of disks and he stored them in an unheated shed over the winter till I was up the next Spring. Killed them all.