Question Will it be problematic to install and use Fedora Workstation or Ubuntu Desktop on a MacBook Pro ?

Manuel Jordan

Commendable
Apr 3, 2022
With the purpose to keep alive a laptop currently in a well descent state

I have an old MacBook Pro - it is:

• MBP 13.3/2.9/2X4GB/750/SD
  • Model No: A1278

So far, it works in peace, it has a HDD of 750GB - in this point is not possible do an upgrade of the macOS itself.

Therefore, my intention is remove the HDD and replace it with a new SSD, and upgrade the RAM too. About the OS an option is install Fedora Workstation and Ubuntu too.

Question:

* Will it be problematic to install and use Fedora Workstation on a MacBook Pro?

It mostly about hardware conflicts - well, the processor is Intel, but just in case I am doing this consult here - your experience is valuable.

Note: I installed Linux Fedora/Ubuntu - through GParted and the respective .iso file - in others laptops as HP and Toshiba, all working or running in peace. But now exists this situation with a MacBook Pro.

Observation: this laptop does not have neither VGA nor HDMI ports, it has either a thunderbolt or Mini DisplayPort port instead - therefore I bought a Mini DisplayPort to VGA Adapter

Do Fedora and Ubuntu recognize this port? It to use the adapter in peace to work with a secondary monitor.

mettall

Prominent
Nov 28, 2022
You can create a LiveCD on a usb flash drive with either of those distros. Then boot the laptop from the flash drive and check if you hardware and peripherals are working correctly. You don;t need to install the linux on your hard disk for that.

Overall it should be possible to run linux on an Intel-based Macbook. For some things you may need to apply additional configuration setting but be not afraid of the terminal. Just google what is not working and you will find a lot of resources and guides.

Ubuntu 23.04 will be released on 20 April.
Fedora 38 will be released on 18 April.
Currently there should be beta versions of them both.

Last edited:
Reactions: Manuel Jordan