Will it be problematic to install Windows 7 Ultimate on a Ryzen 3 1200 system upgrade?

arajigar

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2016
Hi. Even if I´m quite happy with my old Q9550 Intel Core 2 Quad, I have discovered that with more recent games ( and some other that even if they worked fine, sometimes suffered of serious FPS drop ) CPU horsepower and 4 GB of DDR2 RAM are not enough if I want to maintain performance; so I decided to upgrade my Motherboard (my actual MOBO only supports 4 GB max. ) and thus my processor (Ryzen 3 1200) and RAM (DDR4 2400 mHz will be the choice) to give more "life" to my actual system ( it has a GTX 1050 OC 2 GB DDR5 ).

Because this CPU is quite new, will I find troubles installing Windows 7 ultimate (from DVD)?. I have no troubles with W7U, and I don´t want to struggle making my programs work on Windows 10.

Thanks in anticipation!!.

Solution
There are several problems with Windows 7 on newer systems.
1. To install windows from USB device and use USB keyboard/mouse during installation, USB drivers have to be integrated into installation (if you're using SATA connected DVD drive and PS/2 mouse/keyboard, then this does not apply);
2. To install windows 7 on NVME SSD, specific hot-fixes have to be integrated into installation;
3. Windows update on freshly installed windows 7 is broken. You have to install a bunch of hot-fixes manually before windows update becomes functional;
4. Microsoft has cut off windows updates for windows 7 on newer systems. You'll get nag screen about...
It will depend on the MoBo, actually. As far as I understand it, the CPU will work with the Win7 kernel, but you won't be able to actually "use" the PC unless you can install all the MoBo drivers correctly.

So, in short, see if the MoBo manufacturer actually supports Win7. If it doesn't, then you could try forcing the Win10 drivers into Win7 and see if that works. Keep in mind you will be forcing the operation of an unsupported OS for both MoBo and CPU, so errors will be bound to happen.

Cheers!

There are several problems with Windows 7 on newer systems.
1. To install windows from USB device and use USB keyboard/mouse during installation, USB drivers have to be integrated into installation (if you're using SATA connected DVD drive and PS/2 mouse/keyboard, then this does not apply);
2. To install windows 7 on NVME SSD, specific hot-fixes have to be integrated into installation;
3. Windows update on freshly installed windows 7 is broken. You have to install a bunch of hot-fixes manually before windows update becomes functional;
4. Microsoft has cut off windows updates for windows 7 on newer systems. You'll get nag screen about upgrading to windows 10, when trying to run automatic updates.

Solution

arajigar

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2016
Thanks!, but, Rustigsmed, reading that article, what I have clear is that I will be in trouble in case of me trying to update the system, right?.
And, SkyNetRising is pointing me to my future: anything new from now will need W10 64 Bits, i´m afraid.

Well, time has come then to change to another SO. I hope I could pick both answers as the right ones!!, you helped me so much. I pick SkyNet´s one not because the one of Rustigsmed is not good, but for it is the one that left me cristal-glass clear what should be my next step if I want to upgrade my system.

Thanks both of you. :)

rustigsmed

Distinguished

yeah no worries at all - it would have been an up hill battle certainly.