Will it bottleneck?

NoelsTech

Prominent
Jun 9, 2017
Hello, since i am more of a motherboard boy and i have no knowledge how bottleneck works so yeah. One question Will a Ryzen 5 2600 bottleneck a GTX 960 4GB? I would like to upgrade from my old cpu the AMD APU 7700K which you know sucks. I would like to upgrade it to the Ryzen 5 2600 but i dont know if it would bottleneck my GTX 960 4GB.

Specs: Currently i am running on...
CPU: AMD A10 7700K
GPU: MSI GTX 960 GAMING 4GB
RAM: 8GB CRUCIAL

Upgrade: I want to upgrade to...
CPU: Ryzen 5 2600
GPU: GTX 1060 (not upgrading just yet)
RAM: Corsair LPX 8GB (2x4) 3000mhz
MOBO: MSI X470 GAMING PLUS

So yeah there are my specs that i run on currently and what i am upgrading to. I really want to run GTA V, Fortnite and Rainbow six atleast at 60FPS between Medium-High grapghics. So will it work?

Solution
Bottleneck is one of the most frustratingly overused terms out there.

Upgrading a single component can NEVER cause another component to perform worse than it used to.

Your GPU will not lose performance if you upgrade your CPU.

Every system has some bottleneck at some point or other, sometimes slightly sometimes severely.

If the GPU becomes the bottleneck, it would basically just mean that
- with the slow A10 CPU, the GPU spent a lot of time waiting to be fed data
- the much faster Ryzen is feeding more info more quickly to the GPU, and possibly faster than the GPU can handle.
- net result, GPU is now being used to its maximum potential, and the CPU might occasionally be waiting on the GPU.

Or....

Take a length of...

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Bottleneck is one of the most frustratingly overused terms out there.

Upgrading a single component can NEVER cause another component to perform worse than it used to.

Your GPU will not lose performance if you upgrade your CPU.

Every system has some bottleneck at some point or other, sometimes slightly sometimes severely.

If the GPU becomes the bottleneck, it would basically just mean that
- with the slow A10 CPU, the GPU spent a lot of time waiting to be fed data
- the much faster Ryzen is feeding more info more quickly to the GPU, and possibly faster than the GPU can handle.
- net result, GPU is now being used to its maximum potential, and the CPU might occasionally be waiting on the GPU.

Or....

Take a length of half-inch diameter pipe, and at the output end, weld on a 1/4-inch diameter pipe. Run water through it, full blast.

The 1/4 inch section is now the bottleneck.

Replace that 1/4 inch section with 3/4 inch diameter pipe instead.

Now the initial half inch section is the bottleneck, but you're getting MUCH MORE water flowing through it.

This is the concept of bottlenecking. Each time you replace the narrowest section with a wider section, then something else is the narrowest section. But you always gain flow volume.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS