[SOLVED] Will it bottleneck?

Apr 28, 2019
I want to upgrade to a 1070. will it bottleneck?

i5-4690 running at turbo
8gb ( planning to get another 8)
Im running an asus rog strix 1050 ti OC
I want to get a Msi 1070 Gaming (heard they have the best cooling)

Solution
If you're planning to go ryzen and upgrade your GPU also, definitely upgrade your power supply! As for now, you should be ok but I highly recommend not messing with overclocking yet.

When you upgrade, aim for a 650w or higher power supply with the highest certification you can find (ex: a corsair rm650x 80+ gold)
Well the 1070 only needs a 500W to run well, just a good quality one. So don't need to aim for 650W.
And also there are high certifications on poorer quality PSUs :) and yes the RMx is excellent.

Just get a specific good quality model. The B series CM aren't great, you could consider:

Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 CM 500 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($78.99 @...

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
What is your resolution / refresh rate?
What is your major application? If gaming, what games?

The term "bottleneck" is quite misleading. Every system technically has a bottleneck, and the bottleneck changes on the application, there is no single bottleneck in a system per se.

In GPU intensive applications, you may find the GPU the bottleneck.
In CPU intensive applications, you may find the CPU the bottleneck.

So in reality, it depends on what you are doing, and also where your current system is letting you down. Ultimately there is also nothing WRONG with a bottleneck, it just shows where your next upgrade may be :)

Generally I would say the 1070 is about as far as I would go with a 4690, but you may find some applications the CPU will become a bottleneck.

You'll also want to make sure you have a good quality PSU (not just high wattage) to power the new GPU as it is much more power hungry than the 1050 .

Reactions: King_V

ZeroDollarBudget

Commendable
Sep 5, 2019
You will notice there's a pretty huge gap in performance when upgrading to the 1070. Will the CPU bottleneck? Potentially, and it will depend on a few things like the applications you run, the setting you have your games at because there are many games that are CPU intensive, and many that are GPU intensive. If you're worried about a bottleneck I would recommend waiting and upgrading the entire system. If you just want to have more punch to your graphics capability then go with the 1070, play around with settings so you're not pinning the CPU at 100% .
Based on the processor, you're going to be OK for the most part, but it is going to holding back that 1070.

Apr 28, 2019
You will notice there's a pretty huge gap in performance when upgrading to the 1070. Will the CPU bottleneck? Potentially, and it will depend on a few things like the applications you run, the setting you have your games at because there are many games that are CPU intensive, and many that are GPU intensive. If you're worried about a bottleneck I would recommend waiting and upgrading the entire system. If you just want to have more punch to your graphics capability then go with the 1070, play around with settings so you're not pinning the CPU at 100% .
Based on the processor, you're going to be OK for the most part, but it is going to holding back that 1070.

I am upgrading to ryzen soon, its just for now that im asking, thanks!

Apr 28, 2019
What is your resolution / refresh rate?
What is your major application? If gaming, what games?

The term "bottleneck" is quite misleading. Every system technically has a bottleneck, and the bottleneck changes on the application, there is no single bottleneck in a system per se.

In GPU intensive applications, you may find the GPU the bottleneck.
In CPU intensive applications, you may find the CPU the bottleneck.

So in reality, it depends on what you are doing, and also where your current system is letting you down. Ultimately there is also nothing WRONG with a bottleneck, it just shows where your next upgrade may be :)

Generally I would say the 1070 is about as far as I would go with a 4690, but you may find some applications the CPU will become a bottleneck.

You'll also want to make sure you have a good quality PSU (not just high wattage) to power the new GPU as it is much more power hungry than the 1050 .

Im running 1080p 144 hz
Games that I play are CSGO Fortnite and Forza

My PSU is CM B500 ver.2 . Is it good enough? Or should I upgrade?

ZeroDollarBudget

Commendable
Sep 5, 2019
Im running 1080p 144 hz
Games that I play are CSGO Fortnite and Forza

My PSU is CM B500 ver.2 . Is it good enough? Or should I upgrade?
If you're planning to go ryzen and upgrade your GPU also, definitely upgrade your power supply! As for now, you should be ok but I highly recommend not messing with overclocking yet.

When you upgrade, aim for a 650w or higher power supply with the highest certification you can find (ex: a corsair rm650x 80+ gold)

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador

Well the 1070 only needs a 500W to run well, just a good quality one. So don't need to aim for 650W.
And also there are high certifications on poorer quality PSUs :) and yes the RMx is excellent.

Just get a specific good quality model. The B series CM aren't great, you could consider:

Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 CM 500 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $78.99

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $89.89

Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $99.99

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $84.99

Or more budget friendly but still decent:

Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $59.99

I've only opted for those based on current price really, there are alternatives, but this is the quality you'll probably want to look at, you may find some 650W of the same models not much more.

Reactions: ZeroDollarBudget
Solution
Apr 28, 2019

Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 CM 500 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($78.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Total: $78.99

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $89.89

Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $99.99

Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $84.99

Or more budget friendly but still decent:

Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $59.99

I've only opted for those based on current price really, there are alternatives, but this is the quality you'll probably want to look at, you may find some 650W of the same models not much more.

Thank you for you help!
Cheers!