Question Will it bottleneck ?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Matoo69

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
Hey,

so i consider tu buy laptop (lenovo idepad gaming 3) which have i5 10300h,16gb ddr4 ram,1650ti,512gb m.2 nvme ssd...)

So i want to know two things is this good laptop?
And will i5 10300h bottleneck 1650 ti gpu or viceversa? Thanks

g-unit1111

Titan
i see on youtube but eh idk...
I realy think that ryzen 5 is cooler then i5...i dont think is had to do with laptop model (acer,lenovo) but myb i am wrong,also i se on acer nitro lower temp lower fps with ryzen on gta 5 but on i5 on lenovo higher temp but also higher fps...omfg heelp heheh

Well if it helps I recently bought a laptop with a Ryzen 7 4800H and I really wouldn't consider anything else right now.

Matoo69

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
Well if it helps I recently bought a laptop with a Ryzen 7 4800H and I really wouldn't consider anything else right now.

ok but for me this cpu is to expensive.

i gonna look today one more time myb the price/listing change...

i would rather have 5-7fps lower with lower cpu/gpu heat then higher fps and higher heat...

i think i can get with ryzen both higher fps and lower heat..

but i have read that this r5 4600h is little to strong for 1650ti so the gpu will bottleneck bot for i5 says (perfect combo) idk

USAFRet

Titan
idk this is why i ask and say what i read on internet,and ask you guys for opinion.
Right.
People all over say "OMG! It will bottleneck!"
Without actually knowing what that really means. Just a phrase they heard.

Simply put, it means that some part is not allowed to give its full performance due to some other part.
For instance...
A Ryzen 7 + RTX 3090 GPU + 4GB system RAM.
There, the low amount of RAM is the 'bottlenck'. It is hampering the rest of the parts in performance of what you are trying to do.

But mostly, it is a meaningless term.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Matoo69

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
Well, we can't decide for you.

Write a bunch of models on little pieces of paper.
Tape them to the wall.
Throw a dart.

Whichever one the dart is closest to, buy that one.

haha,i know you cant decide for me,you can just help and i am grateful for this...

i cant just decide betwen laptops (lenovo,acer)

does lenovo have better cooling or acer? (lenovo idepad gaming 3,acer nitro 5)
does ryzen 5 4600h work cooler then i5 10300h?
will r5 or i5 work better with gtx 1650ti?
does amd work good with nvidia?

all specs are the same only are cpu diferent...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
does lenovo have better cooling or acer? (lenovo idepad gaming 3,acer nitro 5)
I already answered this one for you when I looked up photos: Nitro 5 has the better external ventilation.

does ryzen 5 4600h work cooler then i5 10300h?
Foul ball! You can't logically compare 2 cpus on completely different architectures, process nodes, boost behaviors, etc.

will r5 or i5 work better with gtx 1650ti?
does amd work good with nvidia?
Dunno, but maybe this will help:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zM86auSGb2M

Matoo69

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
I already answered this one for you when I looked up photos: Nitro 5 has the better external ventilation.

ok thanks :D
and this sry is in croatia translete to english pls...
link https://www.links.hr/hr/prijenosno-...tx-1650ti-4gb-15-6-ips-fhd-dos-crno-015000483 (this acer better cooling,better desing,better longevity,and will me last longer then lenovo??)

and lenovo link is : https://www.links.hr/hr/prijenosno-...50ti-4gb-15-6-ips-fhd-freedos-plavo-015000502

and for the last one what to buy/chose? your opinion?

Matoo69

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
With a 1650ti it isn't going to matter whether you have Intel, or AMD. The GPU would be the limiting factor. For gaming graphics, 99% of the time, is king, as long as the CPU can keep up, which with that class of GPU, would not be an issue. The 4600h might prove useful in titles than can take advantage of the extra cores, and threads, but still not convinced it would help enough, given the gpu.

I personally use a Lenovo Legion. I have this model, but I got it on a big discount, at Microcenter.

https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Legion-Processor-GeForce-Keyboard/dp/B089S9FMLH

so no matter if i but laptop with i7 and 1650nonti on other stuff will be better but in gaming no if i corecrly understand

Matoo69

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
I asking this becouse i have lenovo in the past and it was good,i hade acer in the past also it was good but this acer was 10years old i still have one (t9300,4gb ddr2 etc... haha) but i wanna know now this models of lenovo/acer 2020 which is better?which is better overall etc,...? I see i mean i tkink nitro 5 change fans from the
Last year 2019 to 2020this model i wana buy is 2020...
Thanks

i still cant decide betwen lenovo and acer and betwen ryzen and intel... i want gaming and lower temp ofc if...

Last edited:

bobbyboi

Prominent
Jan 4, 2021
Hey,

so i consider tu buy laptop (lenovo idepad gaming 3) which have i5 10300h,16gb ddr4 ram,1650ti,512gb m.2 nvme ssd...)

So i want to know two things is this good laptop?
And will i5 10300h bottleneck 1650 ti gpu or viceversa? Thanks
1080p: Average bottleneck percentage: 0.09%
1440p: Average bottleneck percentage: 0.33%
2160p: Average bottleneck percentage: 1.03%

The bottleneck percentage is perfect! To answer your other question, yes this is a good laptop. However, the pricing is a bit unreasonable. It's best you learn how to build your own desktop. You can upgrade components whenever with ease - a laptop is a lot harder.

If you're not feeling like building your own desktop, this laptop will definitely do.

Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
1080p: Average bottleneck percentage: 0.09%
1440p: Average bottleneck percentage: 0.33%
2160p: Average bottleneck percentage: 1.03%

The bottleneck percentage is perfect! To answer your other question, yes this is a good laptop. However, the pricing is a bit unreasonable. It's best you learn how to build your own desktop. You can upgrade components whenever with ease - a laptop is a lot harder.

If you're not feeling like building your own desktop, this laptop will definitely do.
You're getting that "number" from a bottleneck calculator?

Just for future reference....those things are useless. You can't derive a number like that.

Matoo69

Honorable
Jan 22, 2017
Last edited:

USAFRet

Titan
How do you measure the bottleneck percentage then?
You don't and can't.

There is no "percentage". That is a meaningless measurement.

With the exact same hardware, Game A might result in 75FPS, while Game B might result in 150FPS.

What you're actually looking for is performance.

Consider this:
2 evenly matched components, a few years old.
i7-4790k and RX 580.
Gives reasonable performance for their age.
Let's give this a "bottleneck percentage" of 2%.

Now...remove the RX 580 and swap in a brand new RTX 3080.
Q1 - Is the "bottleneck" larger or smaller?
Q2 - Is the overall performance better or worse?

USAFRet

Titan
In addition, given those parts above (i7-4790k RX 580...my current main system), what "bottleneck number" might you think is correct?
18%, 1.87%, 3.42% ?

They're all correct.
Or all incorrect.

Same system and parts, over time:
iauS5R5.png

bobbyboi

Prominent
Jan 4, 2021
You don't and can't.

There is no "percentage". That is a meaningless measurement.

With the exact same hardware, Game A might result in 75FPS, while Game B might result in 150FPS.

What you're actually looking for is performance.

Consider this:
2 evenly matched components, a few years old.
i7-4790k and RX 580.
Gives reasonable performance for their age.
Let's give this a "bottleneck percentage" of 2%.

Now...remove the RX 580 and swap in a brand new RTX 3080.
Q1 - Is the "bottleneck" larger or smaller?
Q2 - Is the overall performance better or worse?
  1. Larger
  2. Worse
The CPU can't keep up with the power of the RTX 3080 I'm assuming.