Question Will it cause damage to my PC if I keep overclocking my processor but it fails and BSoD/freezes?

kooiankeen

Honorable
Jul 24, 2017
Recently I tried to overclock my CPU i7 7700k, I tried like quite a lot of combinations of vcore and Cpu ratio, and failed a lot of times and caused BSoD/freezing, then I had to force restart the system. will this cause damage to CPU or Mobo? The temperature is around 60 to 70+ for Max temp

Chasingfaith

Reputable
May 7, 2016
Recently I tried to overclock my CPU i7 7700k, I tried like quite a lot of combinations of vcore and Cpu ratio, and failed a lot of times and caused BSoD/freezing, then I had to force restart the system. will this cause damage to CPU or Mobo? The temperature is around 60 to 70+ for Max temp
You can only damage your hardware by applying excessive voltages and/or reaching excessive temperatures for prolonged periods of time. BSoDs themselves will not damage your hardware and are usually a sign that you are being too conservative with your voltages (meaning you are on the safe side).

Which combinations of Vcore, cpu multiplier and LLC are you trying?

Reactions: galenmyra

galenmyra

Reputable
Mar 31, 2019
You can only damage your hardware by applying excessive voltages and/or reaching excessive temperatures for prolonged periods of time. BSoDs themselves will not damage your hardware and are usually a sign that you are being too conservative with your voltages (meaning you are on the safe side).

Which combinations of Vcore, cpu multiplier and LLC are you trying?

it's exactly as he is saying

galenmyra

Reputable
Mar 31, 2019
actually, now when i think about it, the bsod will not damage your hardware, but it can actually damage your system files, if you get bsod in windows, windows is not shut down correctly and it can damage your system files, even to the point where you cant boot into windows

actually, now when i think about it, the bsod will not damage your hardware, but it can actually damage your system files, if you get bsod in windows, windows is not shut down correctly and it can damage your system files, even to the point where you cant boot into windows

Adding to this... the right way to do it is always run an CheckDisk error check after a BSOD crash on the SYSTEM drive (at least). It usually comes up 'no errors found', but it takes so little time it's well worth the peace of mind.

In Cortana search box, type CheckDisk (one word) and open CheckDisk.exe.

EDIT add: forgot, that only works if you're using Glary Utilities.

If running bog-standard Windows10 the best way is go to 'This PC', right click on the system drive, then select Properties/Tools/Check. If it finds errors it will ask to schedule a restart so it can fix them.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS