Will it continue to beep?

Mike1050

Prominent
Jun 24, 2017
so a few months ago my computer started to beep on start up, i looked up whats wrong and it said my ram, so i opened my case and switched my 8GB of RAM to the other side it can go in and it worked, im wondering if i buy 16GB of RAM (2x 8GB sticks ) will me placing one of the 8GB ram into the slot that made my computer beep , continue to beep or will it not beep due to Newer Ram?

Solution
Ram slot failure is often caused by bent CPU pins (or CPU socket pins). But it could be also mechanical or electrical motherboard failure.
Do you need new motherboard - depends how many slots are still working and how many you need. If it had 4 slots and only one fails, you can in most cases use remaining 3 and be fine. But if you have mobo with just 2 slots, then having only one slots that works severely limits amount of ram you can use.

Mike1050

Prominent
Jun 24, 2017

what would happend if it has failed? would i need a new motherboard

Ram slot failure is often caused by bent CPU pins (or CPU socket pins). But it could be also mechanical or electrical motherboard failure.
Do you need new motherboard - depends how many slots are still working and how many you need. If it had 4 slots and only one fails, you can in most cases use remaining 3 and be fine. But if you have mobo with just 2 slots, then having only one slots that works severely limits amount of ram you can use.

Solution