Will it delete it?

Seek54

Reputable
Jul 31, 2016
Hello, I currently have Windows 10 installed on C drive, and I have a D drive for downloads pictures and stuff, so my question is, if i install Windows 7 to the D drive will it delete my files? ( custom install)

Solution
There are problems installing win 7 after win 10 on same drive. Main one being win 10 won't boot as the win 7 boot loader will overwrite it.

Is your bios set to legacy boot? If its set to UEFI and HDD is formatted as GPT, then win 7 won't boot anyway.

Ideal situation is use two hdd and install them in the win 7/win 10 order, not opposite.

can you right click this PC on desktop and choose manage
in left column choose disk management
expand window so you can see middle column and take screen shot. share it here so we can see what drive looks like.

Epsilon_0EVP

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
It won't necessarily delete your files if you properly partition it beforehand, but that makes installation a bit more difficult. Could you move the pictures and other things to another PC or storage while you do the installation instead?

Seek54

Reputable
Jul 31, 2016
I would if I could, but my old hdd died and now this one is like 600 gb used, and the D drive uses like 400ish gb so I dont have where to place it. The critical files take maybe a 100gb or something and a backed up hdd, i tried to install just now but i though no it could break and now my taskbar is black and start menu wont open. A Windows.old got created in C drive too though. (Could it be installing to C drive?)

(I have 1TB drive C 350 and D 550)

Epsilon_0EVP

Honorable
Jun 27, 2012
So there is only one drive, but it already has multiple partitions? I didn't quite understand the drive setup.

It is quite possible that you accidentally tried to install to the C drive. Make sure you select the right partition on the installer, or you could easily lose valuable data. I would consider manually adding a partition before trying to do the install, and then selecting that partition during the installation.

Colif

Win 11 Master
There are problems installing win 7 after win 10 on same drive. Main one being win 10 won't boot as the win 7 boot loader will overwrite it.

Is your bios set to legacy boot? If its set to UEFI and HDD is formatted as GPT, then win 7 won't boot anyway.

Ideal situation is use two hdd and install them in the win 7/win 10 order, not opposite.

can you right click this PC on desktop and choose manage
in left column choose disk management
expand window so you can see middle column and take screen shot. share it here so we can see what drive looks like.

Solution

rgd1101

Don't

Good. but better have more than 1 copied if you are going to wipe the HD.