Will it power up or will it explode

russrn16

Reputable
Jul 24, 2015
Can I use my 250 watts power supply from my old Acer PC. It's only gonna be temporary. But will my rig power up or will the PSU explode.

Asus H110M-A
Pentium G4400 (using stock cooler)
8gb ram
Adata Sp550 120gb ssd
Toshiba 2.5 inch 250gb hard drive

Solution

Without a dedicated GPU should be fine but don't be tempted to put a GPU in until you have upgraded the PSU. However if you have power problems like the pc going to sleep and not being able to wake it up you will need to turn off the power states in the BIOS as this PSU wont support them.
I doubt it will explode, that's a very low power setup. My concerns are OEM's like Acer use the cheapest PSU's they can get away with so if its getting old I wouldn't want to risk new components with it. Also without knowing what it came from its impossible to guess if it will support all the power states, if it doesn't you may need to disable them in the bios to avoid issues.

russrn16

Reputable
Jul 24, 2015
@PaulBlack
Im gonna be using the Intel onboard graphics. It can run low csgo at 120fps. I'm gonna get a GTX 1050 Ti and a Corsair VS550 power supply.

@Dunlop0078
The brand is Liteon

russrn16

Reputable
Jul 24, 2015
Also the Acer PC and the PSU is 9 years old. The old acer pc has

Amd Phenom 9150e
4GB ram
1 WD hard drive (Them really old WD hard drives.
And integrated Radeon 3200 graphics.

Just in case yiur wondering what the old PC has

Don't buy a VS PSU, they are very low quality and have no place in any gaming pc. You will find it under Tire 4 but the amount of people that come here with problems is also a bad sign http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html The minimum I would go is tier 3 but ideally you want tier 2. Tier 1 unless on offer are over the top for such a build.

No way would I risk new components on a 9 year old PSU, PSU's deteriorate over time. Also being that old it wont support any of the CPU power states.

Without a dedicated GPU should be fine but don't be tempted to put a GPU in until you have upgraded the PSU. However if you have power problems like the pc going to sleep and not being able to wake it up you will need to turn off the power states in the BIOS as this PSU wont support them.

Solution