[SOLVED] Will it slow my system up if I add an HDD?

TJS1986

Prominent
Jul 22, 2020
I was wondering if my system would notice a considerable impact on speed and performance if I add an HDD. As far as storage goes now I have a 1 TB SDD. The rest of my system specs are in my signature should you need more info.
Thanks!

Solution
So I decided to add a 1TB HDD. My OS and anything related to that is on my 256GB SSD. I'm wondering, since the point of me adding an HDD was that I was running low on storage, if it would be ok for me to download some of the games I own (but haven't put on my system yet since I didn't have the space) onto the 1TB HDD, without noticing considerable performance difference?
Keep any games with extended load times (like open world games) on the SSD, youll enjoy it more.
Most games will load plenty fast on a modern HDD, but those that dont get their own place on an SSD.
With the OS, programs, and a few select games you shouldnt be having any space concerns on the SSD. If you have games that load plenty fast consider moving them to...

TJS1986

Prominent
Jul 22, 2020
Your HDD will generally be slower than your SSD...but it will only be slower than your SSD if you are using it instead of your SSD.
So try to keep your programs and your OS on your SSD......and keep data and backups on the HDD.
So I decided to add a 1TB HDD. My OS and anything related to that is on my 256GB SSD. I'm wondering, since the point of me adding an HDD was that I was running low on storage, if it would be ok for me to download some of the games I own (but haven't put on my system yet since I didn't have the space) onto the 1TB HDD, without noticing considerable performance difference?

Keep any games with extended load times (like open world games) on the SSD, youll enjoy it more.
Most games will load plenty fast on a modern HDD, but those that dont get their own place on an SSD.
With the OS, programs, and a few select games you shouldnt be having any space concerns on the SSD. If you have games that load plenty fast consider moving them to the HDD.

Solution
In general with games on an HDD....you don't notice performance degradation while playing games as opposed to using an SSD because all the data is already loaded into memory....but you will have longer loading times.

TJS1986

Prominent
Jul 22, 2020
With the OS, programs, and a few select games you shouldnt be having any space concerns on the SSD. If you have games that load plenty fast consider moving them to the HDD.
I am very into Flight Simulation and that being said I have Pre-Ordered Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 which releases on the 18th. It will be the most important application on my PC, so from what you said, I should download and keep that on my SSD correct?

I am very into Flight Simulation and that being said I have Pre-Ordered Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 which releases on the 18th. It will be the most important application on my PC, so from what you said, I should download and keep that on my SSD correct?
Yes all your favorite and important (and exciting) games, should go on your SSD. Prime experience for a little bit of storage space.
If you dont put some games on there, your SSD will be mostly empty anyway.