geckovic02

Reputable
Jan 21, 2019
Hi!
So yeah... My old B450 motherboard gave up and I really needed the PC so I quickly bought a x570 board that fitted my connectivity requirement... And that's how I got the Msi X570 A Pro.

Anyways, since I have a x570 board now, why not upgrading to a better CPU:

Currently I'm running a Ryzen 7 2700.
What do I do?
-Gaming (1440p /w RTX 3060)
-Blender (Rendering & Fluid sims)
-Adobe Photoshop, After Effects and Premier
-Coding (Python)

I'm doing pretty much 50% gaming and 50% productivity.

What CPU am I considering?
Ryzen 9 3900x or a Ryzen 7 5800x

My Problem:
I know that the VRM's of the X570 A Pro are horrible. But most of the tests on the world wide web are open test benches with some sort of overclocks.
Although I won't be having such an environment. First, if I would pick the 3900x I would use the Wraith Prism cooler (Top blow cooler). Secondly, if I picked the 5800x I would probably buy the be quiet! Dark Rock TF cooler (top blow aswell).
My airflow isn't bad either: one 120mm fan in the back and two 120mm at the top pulling air out of the case. (Aswell as 2x140mm and 1x120mm fans in the front for intake)
Everything is going to be stock. I won't do any kind of OC.

Back to the question:

Will it throttle the 3900x/5800x or not? Imo it should definitely be enough, but most reviewers overexaggurate the VRM temps as a "massive problem".

Also, I cannot decide which cpu to pick, so this will be one big factor for my upgrade path

Thanks for your advice :)

Solution
Wraith prism should be fine, I used it on my 3900X for a few months before going liquid cooling and temps varied from 60-70 while gaming with it. I was overclocked as well at 4.2GHz all cores at 1.25V, idle wattage was ~30W. If you really push that CPU to 100% then you may notice a little throttling but overall that cooler should handle that CPU fine for your average use cases.

As for the motherboard's VRM, if you don't plan to overclock and just stick with stock temps, it shouldn't really be much of a problem in terms of stability, but if you did intend to overclock then you will most likely need better cooling for the CPU. I mean, it doesn't hurt to test out the wraith prism at first eh? It does come with the CPU so might as well try...
Wraith prism should be fine, I used it on my 3900X for a few months before going liquid cooling and temps varied from 60-70 while gaming with it. I was overclocked as well at 4.2GHz all cores at 1.25V, idle wattage was ~30W. If you really push that CPU to 100% then you may notice a little throttling but overall that cooler should handle that CPU fine for your average use cases.

As for the motherboard's VRM, if you don't plan to overclock and just stick with stock temps, it shouldn't really be much of a problem in terms of stability, but if you did intend to overclock then you will most likely need better cooling for the CPU. I mean, it doesn't hurt to test out the wraith prism at first eh? It does come with the CPU so might as well try it out.

Solution