[SOLVED] Will it work?

WehHan

Reputable
Dec 28, 2019
Im trying to help a friend, he want to change his CPU from i3 3240 to i7 3770k or i7 2700k and we have several question,
  1. does changing cpu with different gen require a new motherboard? even though they have the same socket type
  2. what is the difference between FCLGA 1155 and LGA 1155?
  3. will the two of those cpu work with gtx 1050?
  4. Does changin cpu require a better power supply?
  5. can anyone suggest cpu(beside two of those) that should work with these specs?

spec:
cpu: i3 3240
MB: H61M-C
gpu: gt 710
RAM: 8gb

Solution
1. It shouldn't require a new motherboard, but you won't be able to use a 3770K or 2700K to their fullest potential on an H motherboard. But it might not be worth upgrading to a higher-end used motherboard given the age of this platform.

2. None. FC just stands for flip chip. They're all flip chips really, so it's usually just abbreviated as LGA since the extra letters don't really serve any useful purpose as an identifier.

3. Yes.

4. Depends on the PSU. It almost certainly won't make a difference, but at the very lowest wattages and very low-end of quality, 22 W could theoretically make a difference. It's hard to say much about your PSU without, well, actually knowing anything about your PSU.

5. No. This platform is so old that...

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
1. It shouldn't require a new motherboard, but you won't be able to use a 3770K or 2700K to their fullest potential on an H motherboard. But it might not be worth upgrading to a higher-end used motherboard given the age of this platform.

2. None. FC just stands for flip chip. They're all flip chips really, so it's usually just abbreviated as LGA since the extra letters don't really serve any useful purpose as an identifier.

3. Yes.

4. Depends on the PSU. It almost certainly won't make a difference, but at the very lowest wattages and very low-end of quality, 22 W could theoretically make a difference. It's hard to say much about your PSU without, well, actually knowing anything about your PSU.

5. No. This platform is so old that it's almost pointless to spend money on an upgrade unless you're getting the best CPUs available for it, which means a 3770K or a 2700K.

In the end, you likely have to have a very specific workload that needs the upgrade and a good price (probably under $100) to make this worthwhile. If you're spending, say, $150 to get a used CPU and $100 for a Z motherboard, you'd maximize what you get out of this platform, but spending $250 on such an ancient platform is very hard to justify as a good value. After all, for $330, you can get an i5-10400F, a B360 motherboard, and 16 GB of RAM, all new.

Solution
Im trying to help a friend, he want to change his CPU from i3 3240 to i7 3770k or i7 2700k and we have several question,
  1. does changing cpu with different gen require a new motherboard? even though they have the same socket type
  2. what is the difference between FCLGA 1155 and LGA 1155?
  3. will the two of those cpu work with gtx 1050?
  4. Does changin cpu require a better power supply?
  5. can anyone suggest cpu(beside two of those) that should work with these specs?
spec:
cpu: i3 3240
MB: H61M-C
gpu: gt 710
RAM: 8gb
Looking at the cpu support list, it didn't list the 2700k as an option, although it probably would work. The 3770k was listed as supported. The existing motherboard should be fine.

2. None.

3. Yes

4. Possibly. The i3 is lower power than the i7, so you would need enough power as well as cooling for the newer and hotter processor.

5. The 2700k and 3770k were two of the top processors for lga1155. I don't know if any xeons would work with your motherboard, but they would only really matter if they're significantly cheaper. One thing I would very seriously look out for is fake cpus. Almost anything advertised as 'new' is fake. I would try to get a locally sourced genuine used cpu--it should be cheaper and work the way it should. The fakes have quality control issues and who know what else inside them.

WehHan

Reputable
Dec 28, 2019
First of all I don't spend any money on this upgrade, I happen to have a friend that happily giving his old 2700k and that's why I got confused about the socket type and I don't wanna take any risk to change the cpu without any knowledge about it.
And this pc was for college works so if possible I don't wan to spend any money such as the motherboard

I have one last question, I have 450w PSU, will it works with the i7 above and 1050 gtx?

First of all I don't spend any money on this upgrade, I happen to have a friend that happily giving his old 2700k and that's why I got confused about the socket type and I don't wanna take any risk to change the cpu without any knowledge about it.
And this pc was for college works so if possible I don't wan to spend any money such as the motherboard

I have one last question, I have 450w PSU, will it works with the i7 above and 1050 gtx?
Nice. The 2700k is a nice processor and it should work. As far as power, it really depends on what else is in the system, but I think you should be fine. Definitely report back once you finish the upgrade--should be a nice kick in the pants thread-wise, but it won't feel any faster for something that is just single thread:
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compare/Intel-i3-3240-vs-Intel-i7-2700K-vs-Intel-i7-3770K/765vs881vs2

TRENDING THREADS