Will laptops having the same configurations have the same performance - when they are from different brands?

AlexHouston

Reputable
Feb 18, 2014
For e.g. consider that there are three laptops - HP Envy 17, Apple MacBook Pro (running W8), Alienware M17X. You can add more, but here's the point.

All of them have the exact same configuration:
i7 2.7GHz (i7 4800MQ)
16GB DDR3 RAM at 1600MHz
512GB SSD (Samsung 840 Pro)
2GB Graphics card 750M DDR5

Will they have the same performance. Assume that they run the same software - Windows 8 with no bloatware software. The reason I'm asking this is because - there is a huge price difference between the three models stated here, and I'm wondering - since the component cost for the parts mentioned above is the same, is the price difference the price we pay for service/chasis only?

I currently own a HP ENVY 17 with the said configuration, but sometimes can't help but wonder if other brands PCs with the same config would outperform mine, or vise versa

Solution
There will be a difference in performance because of factors like heat and cooling issues. The structuring and architecture are so different between brands (such as Apple and Alienware) that the way hardware is built into each other will affect their performances.

toughtrasher

Reputable
May 11, 2014
There will be a difference in performance because of factors like heat and cooling issues. The structuring and architecture are so different between brands (such as Apple and Alienware) that the way hardware is built into each other will affect their performances.

Solution