Question Will Light Wings 120 mm work with MSI mystic light?

May 3, 2022
I have an "MSI z270 gaming motherboard"; I think I have Buyers remorse. I Just realized that the Light wings are argb and my motherboard only has 1 RGB 50/50 light strip connector. Correct me if I'm wrong and this is my question it will end badly right?

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
"MSI z270 gaming motherboard"

Which Gaming series MoBo? Since MSI has several, like: Gaming Plus, Gaming Pro, Gaming M3, Gaming M7 etc.

I Just realized that the Light wings are argb and my motherboard only has 1 RGB 50/50 light strip connector.

If so, then yes, you can't combine them. You'd be frying the LEDs, if you'd try.

Though, not all is lost, since you can buy a fan set, that comes with controller for ARGB. E.g Corsair HD120 3-pack,
specs: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Fans/hd-series-rgb-led-config/p/CO-9050067-WW

The RGB controller that comes with Corsair fans, needs SATA power and one internal USB 2.0 header.

Note: Be Quiet! fans will not work with Corsair RGB controller (Lightning Node Pro).

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Unfortunately you are right - that mobo has only one plain RGB header, and no ARGB header. What you need to use those fans is a third-party ARGB Controller, like this one

https://www.amazon.com/Razer-Chroma-Addressable-Controller-Compatibility/dp/B08K3TYWP6/ref=sr_1_1?crid=YUIAX3PJQBQL&keywords=razer+chroma+addressable+rgb+controller&qid=1651681458&sprefix=razer+chroma+addressable+rgb+controller,aps,59&sr=8-1

You mount this in your case, connect to it a power supply line (SATA output from PSU) and a cable from it to a mobo USB2 header. Then plug into its ports the lighting cables from the fans. (Fan motor cables go to mobo fan headers as usual.) Download and use the free utility Razer Synapse 3 to configure the lights by software.

Here's one on-line seller

https://www.amazon.com/Razer-Chroma-Addressable-Controller-Compatibility/dp/B08K3TYWP6/ref=sr_1_1?crid=YUIAX3PJQBQL&keywords=razer+chroma+addressable+rgb+controller&qid=1651681458&sprefix=razer+chroma+addressable+rgb+controller,aps,59&sr=8-1

May 3, 2022
Which Gaming series MoBo? Since MSI has several, like: Gaming Plus, Gaming Pro, Gaming M3, Gaming M7 etc.

If so, then yes, you can't combine them. You'd be frying the LEDs, if you'd try.

Though, not all is lost, since you can buy a fan set, that comes with controller for ARGB. E.g Corsair HD120 3-pack,
specs: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Fans/hd-series-rgb-led-config/p/CO-9050067-WW

The RGB controller that comes with Corsair fans, needs SATA power and one internal USB 2.0 header.

Note: Be Quiet! fans will not work with Corsair RGB controller (Lightning Node Pro).
I got the 3 pack which includes a Hub, will that work? It is the MSI z270 gaming m7 motherboard.

May 3, 2022
Unfortunately you are right - that mobo has only one plain RGB header, and no ARGB header. What you need to use those fans is a third-party ARGB Controller, like this one

You mount this in your case, connect to it a power supply line (SATA output from PSU) and a cable from it to a mobo USB2 header. Then plug into its ports the lighting cables from the fans. (Fan motor cables go to mobo fan headers as usual.) Download and use the free utility Razer Synapse 3 to configure the lights by software.

Here's one on-line seller

I got the 3 pack which includes a Hub, will that work? It is the MSI z270 gaming m7 motherboard.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I looked at that 3-pack. It indicates that the Hub really is just that - a Hub to allow you to connect three fans' lighting cables ot a single mobo ARGB header. It REQUIRES a connection to an ARGB header or signal source. It is NOT a Controller itself to generate its own control signals. Read the instructions that came with it to be sure I have that right. That is why I said you need a Controller like the Razer unit since your mobo does not have an ARGB header.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
If you bought Corsair HD120 3-pack fans, then Lightning Node Pro connects via internal USB 2.0, like so:

GOMZo8y.png

But if you bought the Razer Chroma (as suggested by Paperdoc), then it was a waste of money, since you can't use it with your MoBo.

May 3, 2022
I looked at that 3-pack. It indicates that the Hub really is just that - a Hub to allow you to connect three fans' lighting cables ot a single mobo ARGB header. It REQUIRES a connection to an ARGB header or signal source. It is NOT a Controller itself to generate its own control signals. Read the instructions that came with it to be sure I have that right. That is why I said you need a Controller like the Razer unit since your mobo does not have an ARGB header.
Thank you for all the help you provided but in the end I went with It did not arrive yet I decided to return the light wings and go with "Corsair CO-9050072-WW LL Series LL120 RGB 120mm Dual Light Loop RGB LED PWM Fan 3 Fan Pack with Lighting Node Pro " It is controlled by USB 2.0.

May 3, 2022
If you bought Corsair HD120 3-pack fans, then Lightning Node Pro connects via internal USB 2.0, like so:

GOMZo8y.png

But if you bought the Razer Chroma (as suggested by Paperdoc), then it was a waste of money, since you can't use it with your MoBo.
Thank you for all the help you provided but in the end I went with It did not arrive yet I decided to return the light wings and go with "Corsair CO-9050072-WW LL Series LL120 RGB 120mm Dual Light Loop RGB LED PWM Fan 3 Fan Pack with Lighting Node Pro " It is controlled by USB 2.0.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
I'm not clear why Aeacus says the Razer unit cannot work with your mobo. Although it can be connected to a mobo ARGB header (which you do not have), it does not NEED that connection. It can operate by itself as a true ARGB Controller. It does need a connection to a mobo USB2 header for the software tool to communicate.

However, that's immaterial now. The Corsair set you bought will do the job well. It has very similar functions, except that it actually has no way to accept a set of ARGB signals from a mobo header. But you could not use that anyway, so no impact! The only reason I did not suggest a Corsair system for you initially is that its fans and Controllers use connectors that are not what eventually have become the "standard". So it would have been difficult to connect your Lightwings fans to a Corsair Controller, but an all-Corsair system will do just fine. Enjoy your build!

By the way, if you do NOT have any need to use the MSI utility Mystic Light for some plain RGB lighting units plugged into that mobo header, ensure it is NOT installed. That way it cannot interfere with anything else.

Last edited:
May 3, 2022
I'm not clear why Aeacus says the Razer unit cannot work with your mobo. Although it can be connected to a mobo ARGB header (which you do not have), it does not NEED that connection. It can operate by itself as a true ARGB Controller. It does need a connection to a mobo USB2 header for the software tool to communicate.

However, that's immaterial now. The Corsair set you bought will do the job well. It has very similar functions, except that it actually has no way to accept a set of ARGB signals from a mobo header. But you could not use that anyway, so no impact! The only reason I did not suggest a Corsair system for you initially is that its fans and Controllers use connectors that are not what eventually have become the "standard". So it would have been difficult to connect your Lightwings fans to a Corsair Controller, but an all-Corsair system will do just fine. Enjoy your build!

By the way, of you do NOT have any need to use the MSI utility Mystic Light for some plain RGB lighting units plugged into that mobo header, ensure it is NOT installed. That way it cannot interfere with anything else.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
It does need a connection to a mobo USB2 header for the software tool to communicate.

I was not aware of that. I thought it was just ARGB hub, taking ARGB signal from MoBo and splitting it 6-ways.

According to it's specs,
link: https://www.razer.com/gaming-pc-acc...sable-rgb-controller/RZ34-02140600-R3U1#specs

It yes, has internal USB 2.0 connection for control. My bad.

---

All-in-all, i too think that it's best to use hardware from same ecosystem, rather than mixing it all up.

E.g i 1st bought Corsair mechanical KB (Strafe RGB) and while i could've gone with e.g Logitech mouse, i instead opted to expand my peripherals with Corsair ecosystem. Now, i have Corsair mouse, mouse pad, headset and headset stand, all controlled from one software: iCUE. My in-PC RGB and RGB fans are by NZXT, since i had that before i bought my Corsair KB and NZXT, back then, didn't make peripherals.

Reactions: Paperdoc

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Aeacus, I agree. If it is possible and performance and features are comparable, keeping the system from one source is great. You can have confidence that the several parts all will work together since one design team should have been able to know all the unique quirks of their system. And it it does not, you do not get caught in the middle of a finger-pointing squabble over which supplier goofed.

Use of industry "standards", even if only voluntary, can help here. In this case, conformance by makers of light strips, fans, etc. to either of two light control systems - i.e., plain RGB or ARGB - with respect to electrical as well as physical parameters makes it possible for end users to slelect from several makers according to design, reputation, price, availability, etc. There are still some small risks of incompatibility in this. But in OP's case the lack of one type of mobo header to match his fan system precluded doing exactly that. However, in getting around that problem the choice of a single maker of all related lighted acccessories and Controllers is very wise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aeacus