Question Will mixing two different chips (Micron & SK Hynix) hurt performance? Both are Corsair LPX Vegenance 3000Mhz DDR4.

Aug 30, 2019
So, I just upgradedd my RAM from 8GB to 16 GB. I wasn't knowing that even the same make and model from the same brand do come with different ICs too. Looking through CPUz, i found my previous stick had Hynix chip while the new one has the Micron one. I was getting 3600Mhz on the previous stick at 1.38v rock stable. But the new one only clocks to 3400mhz max at 1.38v. Also if I use both of them together I am not able to clock it further than 3200mhz with at 1.36v. I really want to squeeze that extra bit of performance that I know the previous chip was capable off. Are mixing these two different IC Ram hurting my performance even though they are the same Corsair vegenance LPX 3000Mhz DDR4 ram?

Ryzen 3600 | 2 x Corsair LPX DDR4 3000 Mhz | Gigabyte A320 S2H

View: https://imgur.com/a/vPJ3Hyu

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
This is part of why it's always recommend to buy all your RAM as a single kit.

In general, running two sticks is harder than one. So no one can say whether you would have been able to get both sticks running at 3600 MHz even if they were matched. I'd just be happy that you were able to combine two separate sticks and still run them faster than their rated speed (3000 MHz). You can also try tightening up timings rather than just shooting for the highestpossible frequency.

Aug 30, 2019
This is part of why it's always recommend to buy all your RAM as a single kit.

In general, running two sticks is harder than one. So no one can say whether you would have been able to get both sticks running at 3600 MHz even if they were matched. I'd just be happy that you were able to combine two separate sticks and still run them faster than their rated speed (3000 MHz). You can also try tightening up timings rather than just shooting for the highestpossible frequency.
Thanks for fast response, Completely agree about buying them as kit ! But I just bought the second stick slightly used for relatively cheap so I didn't had a choice. I tried tightening timings but they return to BSOD with Aida 64 so I kept them as it is.
I will play around with the settings, it has just arrrived.