Will MLB 2014 The Show Be a Sony PlayStation 4 Home Run?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blazer1985

Honorable
May 21, 2012
"A feature called subsurface scattering allows shadows to blend, rather than just stop with a hard edge." Nope. It allows the engine to simulate the scattering of light passing through a medium (usually used for skin). The featured described is usually called "soft shadows" and there are quite a few different implementations.

FritzEiv

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
"A feature called subsurface scattering allows shadows to blend, rather than just stop with a hard edge." Nope. It allows the engine to simulate the scattering of light passing through a medium (usually used for skin). The featured described is usually called "soft shadows" and there are quite a few different implementations.
Thanks for adding this clarification. Ramone Russell explained it the way I wrote it, but he also added that the lighting engine was spreading the light across the skin, as you describe. I did ask about which implementation they were using, but a company spokesman said they weren't prepared to discuss it at this time. Hopefully I can get a more detailed look at this in the future.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
Right, to me the only question is, is it fun? I couldn't care less about the state of graphics today as all look ok. I'm more interested in say madden, but with ZERO graphics changes, just make the PLAY better. I no longer give my money to sports games that just keep upping graphics with the same crap results for actual PLAY. Pretty is just like win8. What's the point in pretty if I don't want to use it? Start making FUCNTIONAL games that are FUN to play. No these 7-15hr glamor glitz graphics fests that just suck in a few hours of play when you realize it really is...JUST PRETTY.

I try to like console gaming, but every time I go back and game on my PC with 2 780s, I know the console is all about family room convenience. I like the other functionality of the consoles more than the games.There's no comparing even this gen with a good gaming PC.These screenshots and even videos of the games on next-gen consoles are lame in comparison. I was looking at graphics this good on a PC five years ago.

slyu9213

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012
I try to like console gaming, but every time I go back and game on my PC with 2 780s, I know the console is all about family room convenience. I like the other functionality of the consoles more than the games.There's no comparing even this gen with a good gaming PC.These screenshots and even videos of the games on next-gen consoles are lame in comparison. I was looking at graphics this good on a PC five years ago.
When will people stop with these comments. It's obvious that PC games look better. What can you expect when the PC hardware are more advanced and cost more at the same time. The difference is you get more hardware in the PS4/Xbox One compared to an equivalent PC. Plus the DirectX API cannot compare to the low level API of consoles. The best PC can do is everyone implement Mantle or a similar API. With consoles having the same hardware it's easier for developers to optimize games and squeeze out every little bit of performance that it has. In this situation any sports game that has come out to the PC is a port of a console so the PC can't have a better graphical game for sports compared to consoles. If sports games have good graphics for PC it will be because the next generation of consoles improve.

So in a decade, when the console graphics look as good as PCs a decade prior, what is the point of squeaking every last ounce out of obsolete hardware? It seems like the discrepancy in quality between PC graphics and console graphics is bigger than it's ever been. It's pretty sad.

angryfingertips

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
I need to build a PC for someone and they what graphics as good as PS4, let me know what parts I need and don't go over $400.

It's all about budget. For $400, there's no PC that would look that good today. You'd have to spend double that and more for a PC to start seeing the real difference between console and PC gaming - not to mention keyboard and mouse costs. So if you need to game today and can't wait, pick up a PS4 or Xbox One.

If you have the patience to save quite a bit more money for a decent gaming PC, your patience will pay off tremendously. The downside is once you're accustomed to something better than the console, it's really hard to go back to console gaming.

makaveli316

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
@ ubercakeYou forget that there's no way a soccer, football, baskeball, baseball game would look better on pc, no matter how much it costs.Take for example nba 2k or Fifa, on PC they suck. Not only the graphics are different, but the gameplay is also worse.Sports game are and were always better on consoles.

Most new sports games, even if they're crumby console ports, look a little better on PC and can be played with a 360 or PS3 style controller at framerates well above 60fps. There is no lack of responsiveness in the controls. I'm not sure how it's better on a console?

Back in the day, EA's NHL series in the late 90s and early 2000s was incredible on PC compared to any console version. Blew everything away. Now the sports games are primarily console ports. The multi-season stats and player development over seasons were like nothing else.

Nowadays, NBA 2K basketball series plays the same on PC and the graphics are a bit better than any console. You can play it with a 360 controller the same way you'd play it on the console. MLB 2K is nice, but looks like the best on any console.

FIFA looks great on the PC and plays the same as on a console (again with a 360 controller), but again a console port with almost no graphical improvement to be had.

I refused to play Madden when EA signed an exclusive with the NFL since their game sucked compared to the NFL 2K series, so I don't even know about football.

Any sports game plays at least the same on PC as it does on a console. Most sports games can be set to look a bit better than what you get on a console from a graphics standpoint.

If you only play sports games, there is a strong value proposition for getting a cheap PS4 or Xbox One console. You'll get no argument from me there. It's all about budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.