Not sure if this is the best discussion group to ask this at but I thought I
would try. Is it worth upgrading my RAM capacity of my old Sony VAIO..? I’m
no computer genius so I could use some good advice. I’ve an older Sony VAIO
PCG-FX310 Laptop I’ve had sense new. Specifications 900Mhz Processor, RAM
128, L2 Cache Memory (CPU integrated) 128 KB, 80 GB Hard drive, XP Home. The
computer has always worked good but over time it would slow down and I would
reinstall the OS with the recovery disks that came with it and it would be
back up to fair/stock performance again which was satisfactory for me I
didn’t/don’t need a tremendous amount of speed for what I do with it.
Recently I out grew the hard drive so I installed a 80 GB hard drive, the OS
with the recovery disks, NOD32 Anti virus, and ZoneAlarmPro 4. Everything
works with my computer now it is just that it is agonizingly slow!! Much
slower than before and my hard drive light flickers on almost constantly when
in use! I have not loaded much software on it yet and I have only used 8.2 GB
of my drive so far. My question is will installing another Memory Module such
as a 256MB in my spare slot help me out with speeding my system up a bit
more..? Or is it futile considering my processor. Would be nice if it ran a
little faster like it did when it was new would be fine.
--
Much thanks and appreciation for anyones help/input with this matter.

While your laptop is not exactly at the cutting edge of technology any more,
there is no doubt that an injection of RAM would help no end.. 512mb is a
good target to aim for.. you might also want to run in 'classic' mode..
removing XP eye candy does not render XP to Win 98/2000, but it does greatly
increase general speed on screen

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

NoExpertdude wrote:
> Not sure if this is the best discussion group to ask this at but I thought I
> would try. Is it worth upgrading my RAM capacity of my old Sony VAIO..?
<SNIP>

If I understand you correctly: When you upgraded the hard disc to 80
GB and re-installed XP you found that the system was running much
slower than a fresh install using the original hard disc.

If so then I would think something was wrong.

As to RAM, on my system XP grabs around 200MB and the page file sits
at around 180MB. Upgrading your memory to 512MB ought to give you
performance boost when you have a number of programs open.

Charlie.

--
Broadcasting to the environs
www.radiowymsey.org

Have you run Disk Defragmenter immediately after setting up your new
system. If not that would help.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Using invalid email address

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"NoExpertdude" <NoExpertsomeone@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Not sure if this is the best discussion group to ask this at but I
> thought I
> would try. Is it worth upgrading my RAM capacity of my old Sony
> VAIO..? I’m
> no computer genius so I could use some good advice. I’ve an older Sony
> VAIO
> PCG-FX310 Laptop I’ve had sense new. Specifications 900Mhz Processor,
> RAM
> 128, L2 Cache Memory (CPU integrated) 128 KB, 80 GB Hard drive, XP
> Home. The
> computer has always worked good but over time it would slow down and I
> would
> reinstall the OS with the recovery disks that came with it and it
> would be
> back up to fair/stock performance again which was satisfactory for me
> didn’t/don’t need a tremendous amount of speed for what I do with it.
> Recently I out grew the hard drive so I installed a 80 GB hard drive,
> the OS
> with the recovery disks, NOD32 Anti virus, and ZoneAlarmPro 4.
> Everything
> works with my computer now it is just that it is agonizingly slow!!
> Much
> slower than before and my hard drive light flickers on almost
> constantly when
> in use! I have not loaded much software on it yet and I have only used
> 8.2 GB
> of my drive so far. My question is will installing another Memory
> Module such
> as a 256MB in my spare slot help me out with speeding my system up a
> bit
> more..? Or is it futile considering my processor. Would be nice if it
> ran a
> little faster like it did when it was new would be fine.
> --
> Much thanks and appreciation for anyones help/input with this matter.

imperfectcircle25

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
I have a similar situation, I got an older HP laptop for free. Its a Duron 900mhz 256megs 20gig system. And right now its the only computer I have. I will be upgrading in the next 6months or so but for now this is all I have.
Heres a few ideas and things I did to get my old system to run faster and more smoothly.

1. definitly add more ram 128megs isnt enough now a days. you want a minimum of 512.

2. Streamline your system. Get rid of all programs and files you dont need. Change your theme to WIndows Classic, turn off desktop backrounds, lower color depth to 16 or 24bit, turn off sounds. Goto control panel>system>advanced>performance>visual effects>ajust for best performance. Goto Administrative tools>Services>and disable any of the services you will not need. This should free up as much as your limited resources as is possible

3. Use Firefox instead of IE to web browse it is less prone to spyware. Download one or two of the anti-spyware programs. I like Spybot and Adadware. Make sure you keep them up to date and run them often. Also download CClean to keep you computer free of junk and keep the registry clean, you can also turn on/off annoying startup programs.

4. Use an anti-virus other than Norton or Mcafree they eat up to much resources and slow things down. Try PCcillin or Fsecure Ezvirus instead.

5. Defrag often. But the Defrag that comes with XP isnt the best better off getting yourself a copy of Diskeeper which is a much better program.

If you do all this stuff you should see a decent increase in performance from your system. The extra Ram will probably be the biggest help. But keeping your system free from junk and spyware and viruses also goes a long way to keeping things running smoothly. Whenever you add or delete a program or files, run CClean and defrag. Also make sure you keep your virus and spyware proigrams update and run them often. If you just use your computer smartly and do the things I listed here you should be able to get a few more months of use from this computer

Derek1387

More RAM wont hurt performance. It usully can only make it better.....

But like the previous poster said, you dont have cutting edge stuff.... you could try to get a new computer, or just buy some decent RAM and everythign should be good.