[SOLVED] Will more ram help me?

Jordanicus

Prominent
Aug 4, 2020
Hi! I have a R5 3600 with 1x8gb ram and I was wondering if upgrading to 16gb would increase my gaming performance. Last week I was running cod warzone normally for me at 75fps locked and it was running fine at low settings. But now recently I cannot play it anymore because the framerate jumps from 15 to 70fps so im not too sure what to do. I saved up about 400 dollars and I was wondering if I should just wait until nexst year to replace my gpu when the 3000 series come out or just get 16gb ram and hopefully it can boost my fps performance. Any suggestion would be helpful to me thanks!

PC Specs:
CPU: R5 3600
GPU: RX 580 4gb
MB: 350M Bazooka
RAM: 1x8gb 2400hz

Solution
What has changed since when you ran normally @75?

Past that, a single 8gb stick is wrong on three counts.
  1. 8gb is really not enough.
  2. A single stick must run in slower single channel mode.
  3. Ryzen performs better with faster ram.
Before you fix the ram issue, try to find out why you are now not as good as before.

Next, try to see if your games need a faster cpu or a more competent graphics card.
Try this test:
Run YOUR games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
This makes the graphics card loaf a bit.
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely more cpu limited.

Look at the task manager memory...

Jordanicus

Prominent
Aug 4, 2020
I know that 16gb would be good to upgrade to but from my understanding it would only help by adding many 10-20fps of a boost. But I have heard from a couple people that ryzen cpus like ram so I was wondering if it would actually help a lot.

Adding additional RAM will only prevent performance drops, not increase performance. What is your RAM usage in game right now? If its not maxed out, then more RAM wont help.
One thing to note is you are running single channel due to one RAM stick, a second stick would allow you to run dual channel which would have a performance impact, but I would not tie a specific FPS amount to it. Faster RAM would also play a part.

Reactions: Jordanicus
You are losing performance because of that 2400MHz RAM 1 stick single channel on a Ryzen system. You need 2x8GB 3200/3600MHz RAM with that system. The video below is only the fps difference between 2400, 3000 and 3600MHz and it's not even a Single Channel 1 stick RAM vs Dual Channel 2 stick RAM. The fps difference would be greater in your case. Single channel + 2400MHz is really not helping your performance.

Today it's not hard to max out 8GB of RAM and when you max it out it will use the pagefile on your drive and it will create performance issues.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY9GSnJ5Qac

Before you fix the ram issue, try to find out why you are now not as good as before.

Next, try to see if your games need a faster cpu or a more competent graphics card.
Try this test:
If your FPS increases, it indicates that your cpu is strong enough to drive a better graphics configuration.

Look at the task manager memory statistics. In particular look for the hard fault page rate.
If you see 1 per second or more, you can use more ram.

Now, do not try to simply add another 8gb stick.
Ram must be matched for proper operation.
It may not work, and then what is your plan B??

I suggest you buy a 2 x 8gb Kit of 3200 speed ram.
That is the most your motherboard supports.
Sell the old 8gb or keep it as a spare.

Solution

Jordanicus

Prominent
Aug 4, 2020
Adding additional RAM will only prevent performance drops, not increase performance. What is your RAM usage in game right now? If its not maxed out, then more RAM wont help.
One thing to note is you are running single channel due to one RAM stick, a second stick would allow you to run dual channel which would have a performance impact, but I would not tie a specific FPS amount to it. Faster RAM would also play a part.
Oh okay that makes sense thanks and my usage for my specs are gpu:84 cpu:16 ram:82

Jordanicus

Prominent
Aug 4, 2020
You are losing performance because of that 2400MHz RAM 1 stick single channel on a Ryzen system. You need 2x8GB 3200/3600MHz RAM with that system. The video below is only the fps difference between 2400, 3000 and 3600MHz and it's not even a Single Channel 1 stick RAM vs Dual Channel 2 stick RAM. The fps difference would be greater in your case. Single channel + 2400MHz is really not helping your performance.

Today it's not hard to max out 8GB of RAM and when you max it out it will use the pagefile on your drive and it will create performance issues.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eY9GSnJ5Qac
Yeah thats where Im confused if I should buy new ram and just wait for the new gpus to come out and either buy one or just get a different gpu. Do you think it would be worth buying new ram now?

Jordanicus

Prominent
Aug 4, 2020

Try this test:

Look at the task manager memory statistics. In particular look for the hard fault page rate.
If you see 1 per second or more, you can use more ram.

Now, do not try to simply add another 8gb stick.
Ram must be matched for proper operation.
It may not work, and then what is your plan B??

I suggest you buy a 2 x 8gb Kit of 3200 speed ram.
That is the most your motherboard supports.
Sell the old 8gb or keep it as a spare.
Thanks for your suggestion! So I either just want to buy new ram I was planning on just going to bestbuy and getting the corsair 2x8gb 300mhz ram and selling my old one. Or waiting for the 3000 series to come out and either buy one and see if the other models go on sale.

You will have no problems just swapping out the ram.
Your motherboard manual will tell you where to put the two sticks for best dual channel operation.
You may need to select the higher speed in your bios.
Ram uses default speed to let you get into the bios.
Run cpu-Z and you should verify dual channel operation and the proper speed.
If you want, you could run memtest86 for a few minutes to test it out:
It boots from a usb stick and does not use windows.
You can download the free edition here:
https://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

On the driver issue, download the proper driver directly from amd.

Aug 5, 2020
You can upgrade your RAM and GPU but if you still face problems regarding speed then you can try another method which is upgrading your HDD into SDD. I found this method on Facebook and it really helped me out.