[SOLVED] Will motherboard support CPU right out of box or will need BIOS update first?

OGSnow

Reputable
Mar 24, 2016
X99 Deluxe II
i7 6950X

Will it need bios update before supporting this CPU? Saw on ASUS website "Validated since bios 0222" But no mention on what bios version the mobo comes with. Haven't bought it yet.

Solution
Well i'll be damned. Wasn't expecting this but ASUS replied back and pretty much solved the issue.

Basically, the i7 6950X is supported by bios 0222 and above, but bios 0222 is the very first version. So i won't need to update the bios! AND just case i needed, they said that the mobo has the USB BIOS Flashback feature (which i had no idea what it was to be honest) Which apparently allows bios update without the presence of a CPU! So i'd be fine either way! Thanks ASUS!

OGSnow

Reputable
Mar 24, 2016

I have already done that. It says "Validated Since Bios 0222" right beside the CPU model. But i doesn't say the version of bios that the motherboard comes with right out of the box. That's the issue. I need to know if i'll need to update the bios or it'll be plug 'n play.

in that case if you are buying it locally then they will usually have the BIOS version listed on the box it comes in, if not then you may have to contect the seller to see if they knew what BIOS version is on it

OGSnow

Reputable
Mar 24, 2016
@captaincharisma

Already contacted the seller. Gave a lot of info except the very one i needed. Basically, i got nothing. Tried contacting ASUS but no reply back so far. I'm worry cuz idk how will i do. Almost everyone here where i live have 1151 or 1150 or 2066 sockets. So i don't have a place to borrow a compatible CPU to boot in case i need a bios update first to use my own.

if you are not not getting any help from the dealer then i would find a way to cancel the order. if not then you can test it when you get the bord and if it does not work then return it

as for asus i am sure they would need to know the serial number of the motherboard to lookup what BIOS version its shipped with

OGSnow

Reputable
Mar 24, 2016

I haven't bought the motherboard yet. But i will at some point. I'm just planning ahead so i don't have to deal with such headache at install time. Suggestions? Should i just keep trying to get info or just bite the bullet and see if it works? I thought such information to be basic and easily found. Do they vary in some way? I ask cuz you said ASUS would need the serial number so i take that mobos can come with various bios versions?

correct. the biggest example is if you are buying online. if you buy a motherboard online you have no way of knowing how long that certain motherboard have been sitting in the seller's warehouse so it could come with the very first version of the BIOS that was created for it.

this was common when intel released new chipsets for kaby lake CPU's and it still an issue now with AMD ryzen CPU's where AMD had no choice but to offer free bootkits to anyone that bought a ryzen 2 CPU

OGSnow

Reputable
Mar 24, 2016
@captaincharisma

That sucks. I'll keep trying to ask the seller, then. I got a month or so to get the answer before i'm ready to buy everything so i got some time. As a last resort i can try offering some extra cash to have the bios come already updated for my CPU. Pain in the ass but, i really have no way of borrowing that particular socket from anyone where i live. As i said prior, it's very uncommon. Most, if not all, use 1150/1151/2066.

OGSnow

Reputable
Mar 24, 2016
Well i'll be damned. Wasn't expecting this but ASUS replied back and pretty much solved the issue.

Basically, the i7 6950X is supported by bios 0222 and above, but bios 0222 is the very first version. So i won't need to update the bios! AND just case i needed, they said that the mobo has the USB BIOS Flashback feature (which i had no idea what it was to be honest) Which apparently allows bios update without the presence of a CPU! So i'd be fine either way! Thanks ASUS!

Solution