[SOLVED] Will msi b450 tomahawk MAX work well with ryzen 2600?

Aug 27, 2019
I saw on the internet a couple of people saying that ryzen 2600 has compatability problems with the MAX variant of the MSI b450 Tomahawk motherboard. Does anyone have any experience with this?

(the ram sticks I will be using are the Ripjaws V 3200 mhz 2x8gb sticks)

Solution
I saw on the internet a couple of people saying that ryzen 2600 has compatability problems with the MAX variant of the MSI b450 Tomahawk motherboard. Does anyone have any experience with this?

To make it clear... the only difference between the MAX and non-MAX MSI boards is that the non-MAX has a 16 mb BIOS ROM chip and the MAX has a 32 mb BIOS ROM chip + on the MAX versions BIOS is updated out of the BOX to support 3rd gen chips.

So, on the MAX motherboards the BIOS will look nicer, while on the non-MAX it will be a very basic interface for the newer BIOS that supports 3rd gen Ryzen(that's because the addition of the microcode for 3rd gen ryzen... 16 mb...

freercurse

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2016
the socket should be compatible, i havent seen anything from MSI to denote that it shouldnt work.
but ive never had that combo in front of of me so you never know, if your new builidng though you may wanna look into ryzen 3rd gen, better bang for your buck and all that

Aug 27, 2019
the socket should be compatible, i havent seen anything from MSI to denote that it shouldnt work.
but ive never had that combo in front of of me so you never know, if your new builidng though you may wanna look into ryzen 3rd gen, better bang for your buck and all that
I am not building new. I just need a motherboard cause my other one broke.

The only options in my country right now are these alone with price:

Asrock steel legend (107 euros)
Msi b450 Tomahawk MAX (116 euros)
Asus Prime b450 plus (106 euros)
Msi b450-a pro MAX ( 104 euros)
Gigabyte Aorus b450 elite revision 1 (103 euros)
Gigabyte b450 gaming x revision 1 (102 euros)

To make it clear... the only difference between the MAX and non-MAX MSI boards is that the non-MAX has a 16 mb BIOS ROM chip and the MAX has a 32 mb BIOS ROM chip + on the MAX versions BIOS is updated out of the BOX to support 3rd gen chips.

So, on the MAX motherboards the BIOS will look nicer, while on the non-MAX it will be a very basic interface for the newer BIOS that supports 3rd gen Ryzen(that's because the addition of the microcode for 3rd gen ryzen... 16 mb isn't enough to include a nicer interface).

That's it... there should be no compatibility issues to speak of between a B450 Tomhawk and a B450 Tomahawk MAX when it comes to supporting 2nd gen ryzen.

Just get the B450 Tomahawk MAX as it's the best B450 chipset board overall.

Solution