Will MSI X58 pro-e turn on without a cpu?

Jun 15, 2017
So i got this motherboard from a friend since I'm poor and he is upgrading to coffee lake. I was planning to buy a X5650 online, so i wanted to check if the motherboard would turn on (i know it would not go to the bios without the cpu and ram). So, i connected everything, every power cord and added a case fan to see if it spins up. Well it doesnt, so does the X58 Pro-e turn on without a cpu? There's also a broken trace on the board, does that affect it booting up?
Trace:
2e5737n.jpg

Video: [video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HPjir_Gtbc"][/video]

amskuay

Prominent
Jan 12, 2018
Fan might turn on without a CPU but that's about it. I saw your LED is on though. Not being smart, but not sure what else you were expecting though? What else on the motherboard could turn on besides the fan?

Jun 15, 2017

The point is NOTHING is turning on, the fan is not turning on either,

amskuay

Prominent
Jan 12, 2018
Yeah, but in the youtube clip it looks like the LED is on. That means it's receiving power right? I read somewhere that on older motherboards, the fan won't turn on without the CPU, but on newer motherboards, the fans might turn on.

So until we are certain about whether the fan should spin or not, I don't think we should let the issue of whether the fan is spinning or not be the determining factor as to whether the motherboard is dead or not.

It's will do nothing without a cpu and ram in it. The broken part is sketchy but as said before it can be fixed. The orange light is saying it recieves power but lacks components to start (according to the msi support page).

Jun 15, 2017

Okay, ill order the cpu and ill check again with cpu and ram installed