[SOLVED] Will MSI Z590i UNIFY fit into an InWin Chopin case ?

Oct 6, 2020
Looking at the build videos on YouTube it appears that the front panel connection for the power button will not reach the JFP connector on the Unify, It is located diagonally across the board. All builds that I have seen use other boards and inspection of manuals for these boards show the front panel connector in more favorable locations. Pcpartpicker did not show incompatibility.

Solution
I have done a couple of builds in the Chopin, and one of the most trying aspects was finding a board that would fit without needing extensions. I did two different builds using the AB 350 Fatality m-ITX boards as they were positioned for everything to fit just right, including the rear mounted drive.

I purchased a Z590i Unify with 11600K, and the Noctua NH-L9i with intention of utilizing it in the Chopin. The bigger issue than fitment, which was tight, was the fact that the power supply is FAR too inadequate to run that CPU in any kind of mid to high boost clocks.
I had considered attempting to get the gold rated PSU that fits the InWin B1, but even at 200W it would not provide enough power.
This is completely aside from the fact...
Oct 6, 2020
Further study shows that the front panel connector from the Chopin is wired differently from the Z590 Unify motherboard. I have found an extender on Amazon that corrects both problems. It allows rearranging the connections to connect PowerSW, ResetSW, HDDLED and PowerLED. The Chopin case provides no reset SW. This extender allows me to reach the location of the front panel connector on the Unify and by connecting the extender prior to installing the MB into the case greatly simplifies connection of the Front Panel to the header.

It has recently come to my attention that the PSU fan on some units become noisy after a couple of years of operation. There are several examples of people replacing the stock fan with an PWM fan the same size from Noctua. By driving this fan from the motherboard rather than allowing the PSU to control one can get cooling without noise. This process is not without risk since there is no sensor within the PSU that can be used. In my case the unit will be off most of the time and at near idle when in use. I will likely replace the fan as a preventive measure.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I have done a couple of builds in the Chopin, and one of the most trying aspects was finding a board that would fit without needing extensions. I did two different builds using the AB 350 Fatality m-ITX boards as they were positioned for everything to fit just right, including the rear mounted drive.

I purchased a Z590i Unify with 11600K, and the Noctua NH-L9i with intention of utilizing it in the Chopin. The bigger issue than fitment, which was tight, was the fact that the power supply is FAR too inadequate to run that CPU in any kind of mid to high boost clocks.
I had considered attempting to get the gold rated PSU that fits the InWin B1, but even at 200W it would not provide enough power.
This is completely aside from the fact that under even low/mid load the mentioned low profile cooler could not perform adequately. I was hitting 100C and throttling for most everything.

Given what these motherboards are made for with 90A VRM....I would STRONGLY suggest you consider another case option.

Solution
Oct 6, 2020
Thank you for your well considered response. I have very little experience with these machines. I completed an editing workstation just a few weeks ago using an 11900k on an MSI Ace motherboard. This is the system where I will explore high boost clocks. Currently it is cooled by a be quite Dark Rock Slim with the CPU in the 35C range while performing near idle task such as PowerPoint or cat videos on YouTube.

This machine is not near my family room where I plan to place a large screen TV. The use case for the Chopin build would be to allow me to show PowerPoint presentations and the all important cat videos in a larger more comfortable room. Using an 11400, no K, I would hope that such a machine would run at near idle conditions when in use. That is 100% of my plans for this HTPC.

I realize that I could just purchase something to meet this need but I wish to take up the challenge to complete a build in the 3.3 liter confines of the Chopin and it would stroke my ego to tell those who attend my presentations that I built the diminutive box driving the presentation.

I choose the Unify because it is so similar to the Ace whose hardware manual I have nearly memorized. I would like to stay within the same product family which has no other ITX form factor boards.

The Ace machine will run Resolve and perform video editing on BM Raw files. It will also be used for MSFS, OBS Studio and Kerbal Space Program. All of my intense functions will be on this machine. I estimate that the Chopin will be unpowered 166 hours per week and mostly idling when in use. I do hope that this information provides a better understanding of my intended use and hope that you agree that my project is doable. I do value your opinion due to you recent experience with a very similar build.

I understand that In Win will shortly introduce a new version with a 200W 80 plus Gold PSU. I do not feel that this would impact my decision. That additional power should not be needed but the greater efficiency might impact my use case.

Note: While I have not had experience with PCs I have within the last 12 months completed an electrical project involving about 2000 solder joints so the task of upgrading the fan is comfortable for me. This was an emulator of the Enigma encryption machine from WWII. This was a great lock down project for me.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
@Penniless Film Maker, IDK if you have the space, but companies like Silverstone make a couple of really nice "audio rack" style low, rectangular cases that will fit more powerful equipment. Additionally, I have utilized the Lian Li Q series and Rajintek Metis + for living room builds due to the small form, exceptional finish that looks good sitting next to the entertainment center.

Oct 6, 2020
@Penniless Film Maker, IDK if you have the space, but companies like Silverstone make a couple of really nice "audio rack" style low, rectangular cases that will fit more powerful equipment. Additionally, I have utilized the Lian Li Q series and Rajintek Metis + for living room builds due to the small form, exceptional finish that looks good sitting next to the entertainment center.
Thanks! I will look into this as a fall back position if my current plan fails. I want something small and quiet.

TRENDING THREADS