[SOLVED] Will my 2010 MB run 2015 GPU?

Aug 11, 2020
I have

I5-750@2.7ghz,
gigabyte P55-US3L w/ stock bios,
8gb ddr3,
650W Seasonic focus gold+
SSD.

Had MSI Geforce 760 but it died months ago and now im getting MSI Gtx 960 OC 4gb. Can't afford new build so I am asking will my PC run it? Is it risky to try? I really need gpu i am running on internal hd graphics now. Thanks in advance.

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Motherboard PCB revision? You will first need to make sure you're on the latest BIOS update pertaining to your board('s PCB revision). Outside of that, yes it should function on the system. just make sure you sue DDU to uninstall your prior GPU drivers before you drop the new GPU in.

Lutfij

Titan

Motherboard PCB revision? You will first need to make sure you're on the latest BIOS update pertaining to your board('s PCB revision). Outside of that, yes it should function on the system. just make sure you sue DDU to uninstall your prior GPU drivers before you drop the new GPU in.

Solution
Aug 11, 2020

Hello and thanks for answer. Can I just try to plug the gpu right away? Nothing bad can happen right? My MB is really old and I don't really like flashing BIOS as its risky and I don't want to lose my MB entirely + i've never flashed bios anyway. GTX760 from 2013 worked just fine, shouldn't GTX960 be the same?

Many modern graphics cards require a UEFI bios in order to run.
I think the GTX7xxx series was one of the last to do so natively.
Some new cards can have legacy bios capability, but I can't tell you which ones
If you have a GTX960 to try, go ahead and do so.
No harm will come if there is a problem,
GTX960 uses even less power.