will my 220w psu run a gt 1030

0l1veR

Prominent
Jun 29, 2017
i got a prebuilt system that i want to upgrade, i want to upgrade to a gt 1030 but i was wondering if my psu will stop working if i plug it in.

specs
amd a10 6700
amd hd7000 series
220w psu
1tb hdd
acer tc-120 motherboard

Solution
I see that you added your system specs. I suspect that it would probably work, but it can be difficult to tell for sure since the quality of power supplies can vary. I doubt that the rest of the system combined with the graphics card would ever draw much more than 150 watts from the PSU under full load though.
Most likely it would work. The GT 1030 only has a 30 watt TDP, and assuming the rest of the system has mid-range to lower end parts, the other components might not ever draw much more than 100 watts from the PSU. Nvidia recommends having at least a 300 watt PSU, but they recommend the same for the 75 watt 1050 Ti, and are overestimating the requirement in case someone is pairing it with a bunch of other power-hungry components. What are the rest of the system's specs?

I see that you added your system specs. I suspect that it would probably work, but it can be difficult to tell for sure since the quality of power supplies can vary. I doubt that the rest of the system combined with the graphics card would ever draw much more than 150 watts from the PSU under full load though.

Solution

0l1veR

Prominent
Jun 29, 2017

it is a 80+ sertefied psu.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant

That doesn't really mean all that much. Can you give more details about your PSU's specs? There ought to be a little chart printed right on it.