Question Will my 3950x still work if I update my BIOS to beta on X570

MINIRED

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2016
Was looking to upgrade a system to a 5900x, from a 3950x. My concern is that the change may be irreversible and there's no going back in case something was wrong with the 5900x? Or does this only apply to B450 and x470 boards? If anyone can shed light that'd be great.

Thanks!

Was looking to upgrade a system to a 5900x, from a 3950x. My concern is that the change may be irreversible and there's no going back in case something was wrong with the 5900x? Or does this only apply to B450 and x470 boards? If anyone can shed light that'd be great.

Thanks!

Note I haven't tried this so the following is opinion, however this should only be the issue with the 400 series boards (it has to do with the older boards bios having limited capacity - which is becoming a problem now so many different cpu's can fit to the same socket). I also think the new bios should still support 3000 series cpu's - its the Zen / Zen+ based parts that may get removed in order to make room for the new cpu's.

With respect to 'no going back' again - I think this may depend on the board, boards with the ability to flash the bios from a USB stick without a CPU installed can probably be reverted to whatever bios the user wants to. Hardware unboxed used an X570 motherboard and were able to test Ryzen 5000, as well as cpu's from the 3000, 2000 and even 1000 series all on the latest bios (note the 1000 series cpu's aren't officially supported on X570 but worked fine anyway).

Reactions: MINIRED

MINIRED

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2016
Note I haven't tried this so the following is opinion, however this should only be the issue with the 400 series boards (it has to do with the older boards bios having limited capacity - which is becoming a problem now so many different cpu's can fit to the same socket). I also think the new bios should still support 3000 series cpu's - its the Zen / Zen+ based parts that may get removed in order to make room for the new cpu's.

With respect to 'no going back' again - I think this may depend on the board, boards with the ability to flash the bios from a USB stick without a CPU installed can probably be reverted to whatever bios the user wants to. Hardware unboxed used an X570 motherboard and were able to test Ryzen 5000, as well as cpu's from the 3000, 2000 and even 1000 series all on the latest bios (note the 1000 series cpu's aren't officially supported on X570 but worked fine anyway).

Makes sense, thanks for the reply man!

Reactions: cdrkf