Will my 4th Generation Intel CPU Support eGPU?

Melvixz

Prominent
Mar 7, 2017
I have ASUS G751 JT with Intel i7 4th Generation. I'm planning to buy external GPU for streaming (still looking for help on eGPU device and compatibility issues), maybe either GTX 1060 or GTX 1070.

Will the CPU be strong enough that I can stream with 720p quality video bitrate? And I'm currently looking for information an compatibility of eGPU devices with my laptop, if you guys have any recommendation please tell me :)

Solution
All tb versions work for egpus because they all have pcie. They just have different bandwidth. It's not a type c port so it's going to be pcie 2.0 x4. I don't see why you'd want to spend that much money when you already have a decent gpu. Check your cpu and gpu usage and see what the issue is.
Not sure why you would want an eGPU since your laptop comes equipped with a pretty powerful GPU as is. I se that your system comes equipped with Thunderbolt (which you would need), but you would have to check which version that is.I suspect it might not be the correct version.

All tb versions work for egpus because they all have pcie. They just have different bandwidth. It's not a type c port so it's going to be pcie 2.0 x4. I don't see why you'd want to spend that much money when you already have a decent gpu. Check your cpu and gpu usage and see what the issue is.

Solution

Thanks for additional info.
Could not do that research myself at the time.