Will my amd fx6300 bottleneck a gtx 1060

Solcla

Commendable
Dec 8, 2016
Hey guys ive been offered a gtx 1070 for a good price off a mate of mine. Anyways im looking to see if my current CPU will bottleneck it if so will it decrease performance by alot? And is it worth upgrading my CPU or waiting until amd release zen. That being said my mobo is an Asus m5a97 am3plus, current CPU is an amd fx6300 and gpu a gtx 750ti 2gbddr5
Thanks in advance guys

Solution
Yes, no and maybe. Bottlenecks are not simple, and there's always a bottleneck regardless of what CPU and GPU combo you have or your framerates would be infinitely high.

The maximum framerate you can get in games will probably not change, but you'll be able to run at much higher graphical settings without your framerate dropping. If some of your games run poorly, a CPU upgrade will probably help more than a GPU upgrade.

Just my 2 cents, but, Zen is likely to be 2-4 generations slower than Intel's CPUs but have more threads, much like the FX chips were against Sandy Bridge back in 2011. It certainly doesn't hurt to wait but chances are good Zen will not be a better gaming chip than what Intel already has on the market, but will instead...
Yes, no and maybe. Bottlenecks are not simple, and there's always a bottleneck regardless of what CPU and GPU combo you have or your framerates would be infinitely high.

The maximum framerate you can get in games will probably not change, but you'll be able to run at much higher graphical settings without your framerate dropping. If some of your games run poorly, a CPU upgrade will probably help more than a GPU upgrade.

Just my 2 cents, but, Zen is likely to be 2-4 generations slower than Intel's CPUs but have more threads, much like the FX chips were against Sandy Bridge back in 2011. It certainly doesn't hurt to wait but chances are good Zen will not be a better gaming chip than what Intel already has on the market, but will instead be strong in things like encoding and compression, much like the FX were.

Solution

lackjack5

Commendable
Dec 25, 2016

how about amd fx 6300 and gtx 1050 ti

Same thing. You'll benefit from a faster GPU, but your CPU still sets the max framerate.

With your current GPU, turn your graphical settings to minimum, and see what framerates you get. You'll get the same framerates with a faster GPU, just at higher graphical settings.

lackjack5

Commendable
Dec 25, 2016

but a 1070 is a powerful card.

a fx - 6300 with a 1060 will kind of bottleneck

a fx-6300 and a 1050ti is perfect

but if its overclocked its a different story.

Deverick37

Reputable
Jun 6, 2014
it may be a powerful card but it will not reach its full potential without a sufficient CPU, or a nice overclock. But i would still recommend getting it over your 750 especially if your getting it from a friend for a good price why not upgrade the CPU later:)