Will my build bottleneck?

Vadamo

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
I have a Athlon II 240 clocked at 2.8ghz I plan to upgrade it to something like a Athlon Quad or even a 8 core. But for now Im with a Athlon II 240.I want to upgrade to either a:
Sapphire Radeon HD 6970 2GB Gddr5
or
Nvidia 650 TI 1gb GDDR5

I want to have a graphics card that will last long and play any game I throw at it on Ultra. I also plan to record too.

Games I will play: GTA V,BattleField 4,Assassins Creed Unity,Call of duty AW, and Farcry 4.

Thanks In advance!

Solution
The biggest performance gain would be from a complete GPU upgrade. With $250 you can buy an R9 280 or something that will be good enough to play any game at ultra settings with some AA, assuming you aren't CPU bottlenecked.

Icaraeus

Honorable
For a GPU capable of any game at ultra, the bare minimum graphics card you'll need is an R9 270. An R9 270X can run any game maxed out or max w/ no or low amounts of AA, but something even better would be an R9 280X or GTX 770. Generally, for every $200 you spend on a GPU it'll last 2 years at max settings, but after the $600 range the performance gap closes (R9 290X/GTX 780Ti good for around 6 years).

Your CPU upgrade isn't very good. A better upgrade would be an AMD FX 6300+ or Intel Core i5 but that's probably out of your budget.

Mouldread

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2013
Hello,

I'm afraid with this CPU and the GPU you suggested you will never be able to play modern games at Ultra settings let alone make it last for a long time.

New hardware is being released very often and game making companies create games which are more and more demanding.
If you were to buy the top of the range CPU and GPU today it will probably last you for 2-3 years max. The CPU and GPU you have/plan to buy are already 2-3 generations old.

Icaraeus

Honorable
The biggest performance gain would be from a complete GPU upgrade. With $250 you can buy an R9 280 or something that will be good enough to play any game at ultra settings with some AA, assuming you aren't CPU bottlenecked.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS