[SOLVED] Will my case fans still work if I don't plug it to the MOBO?

barkersofgeraldine

Reputable
Nov 11, 2020
My case fans can either be plugged into the 5V RGB header or the system fan header on my MOBO.......

However, according to my PC case's manual, for the "reset" switch to work on the case, the fans must NOT be plugged into the motherboard; the fans must be plugged directly to the PC case's controller instead..........................which will then be plugged into the "reset" header on my fan's controller........

My problem is I don't know if the fans will even spin if its not plugged to the 5VRGB or system fan headers...... does it really need to be plugged in to the MOBO for power? From the manual, I can see that it has a special connector that plugs into a MOLEX connection to the PSU, so it should work right??

Solution
hello no i wont be mixing them.

sorry. i made the scenario confusing than it really is.

my question is really whether the fans will spin if i just connect it to molex for power, without connecting it to the motherboard's fan headers.
Yes but at full speed and no control or indication of speed. Beware, never plug it in at both places, Molex and MB, only or could fry MB.
If you case has a fan hub, you can connect fans straight to it.
That hub should have both a molex/sata for power, and an internal usb for control.
The reset switch I'm pretty sure is for rgb button control.

You can also just connect to the CHA_FAN headers on the motherboard.

My case fans can either be plugged into the 5V RGB header or the system fan header on my MOBO.......

However, according to my PC case's manual, for the "reset" switch to work on the case, the fans must NOT be plugged into the motherboard; the fans must be plugged directly to the PC case's controller instead..........................which will then be plugged into the "reset" header on my fan's controller........

My problem is I don't know if the fans will even spin if its not plugged to the 5VRGB or system fan headers...... does it really need to be plugged in to the MOBO for power? From the manual, I can see that it has a special connector that plugs into a MOLEX connection to the PSU, so it should work right??
Aren't you mixing power and RGB connectors ? Fans should work even without their lights.
One connector is for fan power (3 or 4pins with eventual Molex connector) they are for 12v.
5v is for ARGB lights and that should be connected to appropriate ARGB header either on MB or case adapter. (Not same as RGB).

barkersofgeraldine

Reputable
Nov 11, 2020
Aren't you mixing power and RGB connectors ? Fans should work even without their lights.
One connector is for fan power (3 or 4pins with eventual Molex connector) they are for 12v.
5v is for ARGB lights and that should be connected to appropriate ARGB header either on MB or case adapter. (Not same as RGB).

my question is really whether the fans will spin if i just connect it to molex for power, without connecting it to the motherboard's fan headers.

Yes but at full speed and no control or indication of speed. Beware, never plug it in at both places, Molex and MB, only or could fry MB.

Reactions: barkersofgeraldine
Solution