Will my computer be able to stream?

Jun 19, 2018
Hell, I am planning a new build for Christmas and it is my first high powered build; I was wondering if I would be able to stream CS:GO and Fortnite with low/medium setting on it. I have little experience with PC Building and Streaming but I was hoping I could find some helpful information here.

Parts -
16GB Patriot Viper 2400Mhz 2x8
Ryzen 5 1400
MSI B350 Gaming Plus
RX 560
Wraith Stealth Cooler
EVGA 550W PSU
2TB WD Blue HDD
500GB WD Blue SSD
MSI 1920x1080 144Hz Monitor
Corsair Spec - 05

Thanks
Benjamin N.

Solution
if you overclock it sure.
not the going to be playing games on the highest settings at the highest fps while doing so, nor will you have the ability to encode the highest quality video.

But with a bit of balancing of settings for both streaming software and game graphics, should be doable.
will most likely encode at 720p 30fps with about 1500 bitrate and the veryfast preset in OBS with gaming graphics turned down to medium and you should get playable frame rates.

the best you can do is just try it out and see what happens.
If the end result is too low of quality in any aspect for you then you'll know you have to upgrade.

You can try to use the GPU to do the encoding with this plugin for OBS...

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
if you overclock it sure.
not the going to be playing games on the highest settings at the highest fps while doing so, nor will you have the ability to encode the highest quality video.

But with a bit of balancing of settings for both streaming software and game graphics, should be doable.
will most likely encode at 720p 30fps with about 1500 bitrate and the veryfast preset in OBS with gaming graphics turned down to medium and you should get playable frame rates.

the best you can do is just try it out and see what happens.
If the end result is too low of quality in any aspect for you then you'll know you have to upgrade.

You can try to use the GPU to do the encoding with this plugin for OBS
https://obsproject.com/forum/resources/amd-advanced-media-framework-encoder-plugin-for-obs-studio.427/

Worst case scenario, you either buy a prebuilt machine on the cheap (most likely used) or build a new machine/build from used parts a secondary system that will be a dedicated stream machine that you use a capture card with.

Be warned though, OBS and other software uses a base amount of CPU power to encode depending the encode settings, but it also uses more and more CPU power by default depending on how much customization has been done to scenes.
i.e. - having a ton of high end overlays and all the other notification stuff from stream labs.

For reference, I have a dedicated stream PC that is a Dell Optiplex 9010 and it has an i7-3770 3.4Ghz and with just all the stuff I have loaded into scenes and whatnot my CPU utilization is about 50% and when I start encoding the CPU usage goes up to about 75-90% depending on how much it has to encode based on what is happening in game.

However, my encode settings are set to faster preset with a 3500 bitrate and 720p 60fps.

Solution
Jun 19, 2018

Thanks so much, hopefully your right...