Will my computer run Star Citizen?

Jul 8, 2018
I have an Inspiron 7559

Intel Core i7-6700HQ CPU 2.60 GHz

8.00 GB of Ram

QUAD-CORE

64-Bit operating and x64 based processor.

Solution
STAR CITIZEN IS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO BEING NEAR ITS FINAL, OPTIMIZED STATE.

Having said that, there's no way an iGPU will be good enough. Even if it technically ends up supporting it say 30FPS it's going to look like crap with all the settings cranked down.

And since you can't add a graphics card to that laptop there's not much you can do really. Some laptops have Thunderbolt to support external GPU's but that's about your only option (which you probably don't have).

*Either way, wait until the game actually goes GOLD and is optimized so we have final BENCHMARKS to go by... my advice is check back in another YEAR (end 2019) because it's going to be a while still.

bichn

Reputable
May 29, 2015
whats your budget for this and what do you consider playable if lowest settings at 30 fps is fine then that a totally different conversation than a semi decent settings with 60 fps

Jul 8, 2018

I just want to play on the medium settings

Jul 8, 2018

Also I already own the computer. I just want to know if I can play it before I buy the game

bichn

Reputable
May 29, 2015
you bought a work pc not a gaming it has a great cpu but no graphics card your going to want to add one so i was asking for budget on that because i would recommend a different one per how much your willing to spend

Jul 8, 2018

Oh ok, I didn't know you could change out a GPU on a laptop. I'm willing for 150-300

bichn

Reputable
May 29, 2015
oh its a laptop that is my bad i must have missed that no you can not um i think it will run the game but it wont be as good in the graphics department you may need to play on low settings

Jul 8, 2018

Ok, thank you for your help!

bichn

Reputable
May 29, 2015
i have been looking at spec requirements online and most places says it is not a very demanding game on ultra it only requires a 4g card so it will run it but i have no idea how well the integrated graphics will do

Jul 8, 2018

So besides the graphics card you think I could run it on ultra? What would happen if I ran it on a high setting with a low graphics card?

STAR CITIZEN IS NOT EVEN CLOSE TO BEING NEAR ITS FINAL, OPTIMIZED STATE.

Having said that, there's no way an iGPU will be good enough. Even if it technically ends up supporting it say 30FPS it's going to look like crap with all the settings cranked down.

And since you can't add a graphics card to that laptop there's not much you can do really. Some laptops have Thunderbolt to support external GPU's but that's about your only option (which you probably don't have).

*Either way, wait until the game actually goes GOLD and is optimized so we have final BENCHMARKS to go by... my advice is check back in another YEAR (end 2019) because it's going to be a while still.

Solution
My GUESS (even Chris Roberts doesn't know yet) about Star Citizen's minimum specs for a somewhat enjoyable experience is:

i5/i7 3rd gen CPU
GTX1050Ti 4GB
8GB system memory

There are lots of things for physics, netcode and so on that are very unoptimized and frankly they don't know what the end result will be... there's a strong possibility the CPU REQUIREMENT will be very high.

It does look like system memory and VRAM requirements will be higher than average.

Anyway this is definitely NOT going to be an iGPU game in any way, shape or form.

farmfowls

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2014
It's way too early to be asking that question. As already stated, Star Citizen is not even close to being in it's final state. It's honestly only guesswork at this point if anyone were to recommend a build. In terms of FPS, I have trouble sometimes with my rig but that's because the game is not finished. And seeing the specs you have provided I honestly doubt you could run it smoothly anyway.

I can't even load the main game (GTX1080, 16GB, i7-3770K@4.4GHz, W10 64-bit) and I've tried with every major update (it's NOT my system). I did over a year ago, and I can run the smaller modules like the hangar and the obstacle course.

I got a rock-solid experience with the obstacle course and it looks great but when I could load the main game it was a massive STUTTER-FEST.

I have followed some of the progress though at the Star Citizen site. Enough to know that the minimum's are likely to be quite high across the board for GPU, CPU and system memory.

They are even experimenting with STREAMING textures (I.e. Intel Optane SSD streaming stored textures to VRAM) and a lot of stuff is just incredibly unoptimized so it's just impossible to be guess and expect to be very close to the final result.

My best guess for it going "GOLD" is still end of 2019 though even when it goes gold it will continue to be optimized.

This will never be a good experience in a lower-end system with an iGPU. Probably won't even start.

TRENDING THREADS