Will my computers work on the 5GHz band?

tript99

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2008
Hi all! I have a wireless router question. How can I tell if the two computers I have can handle the N-draft router I just bought at 5 GHz? In other words, I have too many wireless phones that are on the 2.4 GHz spectrum, so I decided to buy a dual channel N wireless router and run it at 5 GHz. Before I open the router box, though, I want to determine if the PC's I have can use the 5 GHz spectrum. One is a new iMac, and the other is a Compaq 6716b laptop. Both support draft N, but I’m not sure if that means they support it on 2.4 or 5 GHz. Thanks in advance!!

G

As draft N is not an official standard you are best using a wireless adapter from the same manufacturer as the router.

However, in your case(s) you probably don't want to have to buy wireless adapters so your best route is probably to ask Apple and Compaq (in the latter case the wireless is probably Intel so you might also find something about compatibility on their site).

tript99

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2008
Thanks Fihart for the info!
I thought about contacting the computer manufacturers, but I was hoping at least for the Compaq case it would be possible to check something in the control panel or Device manager or somewhere to tell if the Adapter could handle 5 GHz? Maybe I can figure out what Adapter came with the Compaq, then go to the manufacturers website and check.....but if anyone else has any suggestions, that would be great!

tript99

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2008
I found out, by using the Device manager, what Wireless adapter was being used in the Compaq. Then I googled that wireless adapter, and found out it was NOT even a draft N - so I am out of luck....